Gas pipework

  • Tony Howard
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2001
      Professionally, I have worked on safety systems on refineries and
      petrochem works.

      I get worried by gas leaks, solid pipe (generally) doesn't leak.
      Connections and valve stems are potential leaks. Copper pipe
      connections can be made by metal ferrules (incidentally, the type used
      industrially are totally different to the boaty type - they would not
      be allowed). Valves stems have to have soft packing which will
      degenerate with time causing leaks.

      Copper pipe has to be supported at regular intervals, and where it
      passes through bulkheads, protected from chafe (a god dollop of
      silicone sealant is OK)

      My preferences are to keep these to a minimum, and they should be in
      freely ventilated areas. On Judicious I have (with some difficulty)
      used a copper pipe in one piece all the way from the cylinder to the
      cooker. According to the UK Code of Practice I should have a cutoff
      valve at the cooker but I don't. If I had a fire at the cooker I
      could not reach that valve anyway. I just use the valve on the
      cylinder.

      Rgds
      Tony Howard
      www.yacht-judicious.co.uk