Dark Lady Shakedown

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2001
      Gang,
      In the event that you are not all sick of hearing about my sailing
      misadventures, here is the latest.
      I took the last two weeks as a shakedown cruise. DL and I sailed to
      Massachusetts and visited friends in Scituate.

      Here is the status report
      The strut appears sound and if it is leaking, it is very slightly. Status:
      good to go
      The on again, off again engine charging problem seems to be linked with my
      solar panel charging system. I will either fix it or work around it. Status:
      good to go
      The upper shrouds have to be fully wound down to achieve proper tuning. If
      they ever get looser, they will have to be replaced but are fine now.
      The Byzantine head holding tank system works great. Easy to fill and easy
      to empty overboard. Status: good to go
      The anchoring system (SPADE anchor, windlass and chain) work great. The
      only problem is I forgot to write down my chain marking system so I have no
      idea how much chain I have out. Status: good to go
      The SSB works fine and the problem getting Herb appears to be related to
      Milford Harbor. Status: good to go
      I was able to send Elinore a SailMail email. It is a quirky but workable
      system. Status: good to go
      All other electronic and mechanical systems were test and work fine. The
      remaining upgrades are mostly optional and I have the summer to work on
      them. Among them is the decision on the hard dinghy verses an inflatable.
      The hard dink is just so damn heavy that I never took it off the deck.

      In summery; I sailed, slept, shaved, shat, suppered.

      At this point, the trip South in the fall appears: Good To Go.

      dennis-gibbons@...
    • m104@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2001
        Green, green envy here, dennis.

        Are you still in Scituate ?  Only another 20 nm to visit SKYE.  Or we meet
        part way at the Boston Harbor Islands !

        John and Gail Gall
        SV SKYE
        CN35 #78

        And getting damn greener the more I think about it !
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 12, 2001
          No,
          Back in Milford, CT. fixing that which I broke and finishing more upgrades
          dennis-gibbons@...