Re: [campernicholson] Re: Raw water engine intake system

  • Denece Vincent
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2001
      Tom,
      Yes, we have two attachments under the water; the zinc near the galley,
      which was bonded to all the underwater metal and (we believe) led to the
      demise of all our Blakes seacocks and the Dynaplate (now replaced with a
      large copper sheet) near the mast. We used Stainless bolts this time but we
      are keeping an eye on them. We have learned that the main culprit in
      electrolytic corrosion in our area is from leaving the shore plug
      connected, since most of the marinas are older and the wiring not up to
      current research.
      Our project right now is the rebuilding of the ice box. Ours was a double
      walled fiberglass box containing almost two whole inches of crumbling foam,
      except for where there wasn't any. We have almost got it all out and will
      replace with 4-8" of sealed urethane foam and a layer of heat shield on the
      outer side. We hope it will enable us to run a Cool Blue unit off solar
      panels alone.
      This living aboard and doing projects is real interesting. You sure can't
      get away from the mess and confusion!!

      Denece
    • mclarenR@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 2, 2001
        Blakes sea cocks are available through Defender.  Go to

        www.defender.com

        --Richard McLaren
        1970 S&S 37 Dulcinea
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 2, 2001
          Hi!

          Trudy and I just got back from a week long vacation in the Chesapeake Bay where we spent a couple of nights in Waterside Marina near downtown Norfolk, Virginia.  Nice place, but I don't like their electrical system one bit!

          For two days we were trying to figure out the source of a mysterious "tapping" sound (like crabs clawing the hull) occurring on the outside of the sink discharge thru-hull.  On the second day I searched a little more carefully and noticed the same problem at EVERY seacock :(   All I can imagine is the water was full of stray electric currently and were eating away the seacocks at a fast rate, regardless of whether the shore power was connected or not.

          Weird huh?

          <snip>
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 2, 2001
            Shotgun shrimp? We have them on the southern portions of this (west) coast
            and they make a noise known to give mariners the heebie-jeebies!
            Denece--having a small amount of success at the infamous ice-box refit.

            At 10:17 PM 6/2/01 -0400, you wrote:
            >Hi!
            >
            >Trudy and I just got back from a week long vacation in the Chesapeake Bay
            >where we spent a couple of nights in Waterside Marina near downtown
            >Norfolk, Virginia. Nice place, but I don't like their electrical system
            >one bit!
            >
            >For two days we were trying to figure out the source of a mysterious
            >"tapping" sound (like crabs clawing the hull) occurring on the outside of
            >the sink discharge thru-hull. On the second day I searched a little more
            >carefully and noticed the same problem at EVERY seacock :( All I can
            >imagine is the water was full of stray electric currently and were eating
            >away the seacocks at a fast rate, regardless of whether the shore power
            >was connected or not.
            >
            >Weird huh?
            >Graham

          • Jeffrey Moorman
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 7, 2001
              Denece,

              Yup, those are probably bigger out there...here they are still only classified as handguns...

              Jeff
              N35 LaBoheme
              North Beach, MD
            • Tony Howard
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 12, 2001
                Hi all,

                Just returned from 2 1/2 weeks taking Judicious (Nic 35) to SW
                Ireland. Tedious crossing form the UK (54 hours to windward) but
                glorious when I got there. Story and pics should be on my up-dated
                web site by 22nd June (providing not too much work gets in the
                way....) returning to Judicious on 23rd June.

                Catching-up on the postings to the ng.

                Zincs

                Mine is attached with a galvanised bolt, as sold by MG Duff. This is
                now about 9 years old since I glassed it in, and although a bit rusty
                still appears to be serviceable. I always put the nuts on with a good
                dollop of stern gland/underwater grease. I would be careful about
                using any other material.

                Stern glands

                A sailing buddy had a nasty experience with a 'dripless' gland. His
                boat dried out, and he forget to fill the gland with water (not sure
                of the make, but this was done by squeezing the rubber boot). As a
                result it was no longer dripless............(in fact 'drip' was an
                understatement, I gather it was more like Niagara falls).

                I fitted a new prop shaft with a conventional packed gland with a
                greaser 5 seasons ago. For the first time I had to tighten it up
                this year (only about 1/2 turn on the nuts), but it is fine.

                Rgds

                Tony
                www.yacht-judicious.co.uk
              • Jteipen@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 12, 2001
                  Tom

                  During our last haul out almost 2 years ago, I replaced the hull zinc and
                  bolts with parts that I purchased from Camper Nicholson.   I didn't use the
                  foam backing.  I simply used some bedding compound to bed the square plate on
                  the bolts to the outside of the hull and drew them up tight with large
                  washers and nuts on the inside.  I've never had it leak at all.  Next time
                  around, I'm going to cut my own zinc out of a larger plate.

                  Jim
                  SV Alegria
                  CN 35  #68