Re: Nic 303

  • Duke _of_URL
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 20, 2001
      The Nic 303 and 33 were designed under the IOR rule by Ron Holland. Thus
      they have a wide beam, high freeboard, pinched ends, and unbalanced sail
      plans. The Nic 303's poor stability is shown in this link:
      http://www.geocities.com/duke_of_ur1/CWBB/stability_comp.jpg
      Grimalkin, a Nic 303, represents the worst of the boats designed under the
      IOR rule and has a reputation for being unseaworthy. Duke
    • sivashchenko
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 14, 2011
        Hi, Guys!Does anyone know this saloon scheme has some Nic 303(I mean aft), or its self replan? http://www.allboats.com/en/5850520/nicholson-303-ron-hollan-1978.html
      • William E. Roesner
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 14, 2011
          Huh ?????

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 14, 2011
            --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Duke _of_URL" <duke_of_ur1@...> wrote:

            > The Nic 303 and 33 were designed under the IOR rule by Ron Holland. Thus
            > they have a wide beam, high freeboard, pinched ends, and unbalanced sail
            > plans. The Nic 303's poor stability is shown in this link:
            > http://www.geocities.com/duke_of_ur1/CWBB/stability_comp.jpg
            > Grimalkin, a Nic 303, represents the worst of the boats designed under the
            > IOR rule and has a reputation for being unseaworthy. Duke

            I know, but I am atheist about keel types, so I am not put all IOR boats in a same line. Contessa 32,Sigma 33,Nic 35.... IOR boats as well. Nic 32 pinched as well,but to the bottom :)
          • sivashchenko
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 14, 2011
              --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "William E. Roesner" <blueprintbill@...> wrote:

              > Huh ?????
              >
              > On Apr 14, 2011, at 10:46 AM, sivashchenko wrote:
              >
              > > Hi, Guys!Does anyone know this saloon scheme has some Nic 303(I
              > > mean aft), or its self replan? http://www.allboats.com/en/5850520/
              > > nicholson-303-ron-hollan-1978.html

              As to me, I am very like this plan, unfortunatly its possible to realised just second edition IOR rules boats (pregnant oysters)
            • William E. Roesner
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 14, 2011
                The Nic 303 and 33 and the ill fated Grimalkin, racing in the 1979 Fastnet should be likened to a formula 1 car racing in the Dakar Rally. They are fast and lively vessels, perhaps ill suited to offshore racing.
                Their stability is probably enhanced by the beam they carry. High freeboard ?... not by current day standards. Unbalanced sail plan ?... I guess if you don't reef.  Poor stability ?? Grimalkin survived, .. it didn't sink.  Unseaworthy ?.. not so much the boat but more likely the ill fated crew.  They chose to take to the liferaft.  My take on these boats is that they are fast, tough, small, light, quick motioned, and terribly uncomfortable in the kinds of conditions encountered in that Fastnet race. But it was built by Camper Nicholsons, and used judiciously I'm sure would be a fine sailing boat.
                Bill R.
                CN 31-113
                Blueprint

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 14, 2011
                  --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "William E. Roesner" <blueprintbill@...> wrote:

                  > The Nic 303 and 33 and the ill fated Grimalkin, racing in the 1979
                  > Fastnet should be likened to a formula 1 car racing in the Dakar
                  > Rally. They are fast and lively vessels, perhaps ill suited to
                  > offshore racing.
                  > Their stability is probably enhanced by the beam they carry. High
                  > freeboard ?... not by current day standards. Unbalanced sail
                  > plan ?... I guess if you don't reef. Poor stability ?? Grimalkin
                  > survived, .. it didn't sink. Unseaworthy ?.. not so much the boat
                  > but more likely the ill fated crew. They chose to take to the
                  > liferaft. My take on these boats is that they are fast, tough,
                  > small, light, quick motioned, and terribly uncomfortable in the kinds
                  > of conditions encountered in that Fastnet race. But it was built by
                  > Camper Nicholsons, and used judiciously I'm sure would be a fine
                  > sailing boat.
                  > Bill R.
                  > CN 31-113
                  > Blueprint
                  >
                  > On Apr 14, 2011, at 11:45 AM, sivashchenko wrote:
                  >

                  > > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Duke _of_URL"
                  > > <duke_of_ur1@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > The Nic 303 and 33 were designed under the IOR rule by Ron
                  > > Holland. Thus
                  > > > they have a wide beam, high freeboard, pinched ends, and
                  > > unbalanced sail
                  > > > plans. The Nic 303's poor stability is shown in this link:
                  > > > http://www.geocities.com/duke_of_ur1/CWBB/stability_comp.jpg
                  > > > Grimalkin, a Nic 303, represents the worst of the boats designed
                  > > under the
                  > > > IOR rule and has a reputation for being unseaworthy. Duke
                  > > >
                  > > I know, but I am atheist about keel types, so I am not put all IOR
                  > > boats in a same line. Contessa 32,Sigma 33,Nic 35.... IOR boats as
                  > > well. Nic 32 pinched as well,but to the bottom :)
                  > >
                  > >whats a differene to Nic 33?

                  what's a difference to Nic 33? what's a difference to Nic 33?
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 14, 2013
                    Sorry to be pedantic, Grimalkin is not a Nicholson 303, she is a Nicholson Half Tonner.
                  • Parker Reinhardt
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 14, 2013
                      I own a 78 30 1/2 ton by Ron Holland, the boat is perfectly tuned and well balanced. I've had this craft in 25 kts without a hitch but it is a lively old girl but also a pretty one. It is not the most comfortable boat but ours has been restored with lots of upgrades including the interior which is very well done.

                      Cheers

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 14, 2013
                        Actually the 303 is basically a cruise version that was built in Japan.
                        I have the digital draft drawings of the 30 1/2 ton, used them for the restoration. The interiors we spartan, the hull however is very strong and after 34 years is sound.

                        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Duke _of_URL" <duke_of_ur1@...> wrote:

                        > The Nic 303 and 33 were designed under the IOR rule by Ron Holland. Thus
                        > they have a wide beam, high freeboard, pinched ends, and unbalanced sail
                        > plans. The Nic 303's poor stability is shown in this link:
                        > http://www.geocities.com/duke_of_ur1/CWBB/stability_comp.jpg
                        > Grimalkin, a Nic 303, represents the worst of the boats designed under the
                        > IOR rule and has a reputation for being unseaworthy. Duke

                      • David Seer
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 14, 2013
                          Japan ?...  That's a new one on me !

                          The 303 was built in Gosport, UK, in the same place as the 345.

                          To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                          From: parkercr@...
                          Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 00:38:41 +0000
                          Subject: [campernicholson] Re: Nic 303

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 14, 2013
                            Regarding "Grimalkin": 1978 no weather info, no radar, no GPS, No AIS and dated insturments too boot. The Fastnet of that year was certainly a disaster. But judging the boats of today based on todays sailing craft and the IOR boats of the time is an unfair representation of the race that claimed many boats and many lives. "Grimalkin" was one of the smaller boats in the race yet somehow survived after rolling 4 times. Even today boats and lives are lost that have all the above bells and whisles and are designed with knowledge gained from years of experience, plus material not available at the time of the 78 Fastnet.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 14, 2013
                              Parker,

                              I agree. People certainly died, but poor old Grimalkin almost invariably gets a slating, which I believe she doesn't deserve. She was found afloat, upright and still basically seaworthy (albeit minus her rig). A very tough little boat !

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 14, 2013
                                Japan ?... That's a new one on me !

                                The 303 was built in Gosport, UK, in the same place as the 345, and most of the other production yachts.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 14, 2013
                                  William, Great response! Personally having sailed the 30 1/2 ton I don't find the boats to be of poor design. I've sailed faster including a Swan 51, and a few J boats. The 30 1/2 ton was far ahead of its time. While not a Loyds A 100 still a well built craft and fun to sail.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 14, 2013
                                    Dave,

                                    You would be correct the 303 was built in Gosport, UK. However later versions were produced in Japan. Apparently, the molds were purchased and shipped to Japan where additional boats were produced. I'll have to look through some documentation but I'm certain, this to be true.

                                    Cheers again,

                                    Parker

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 15, 2013
                                      Parker,

                                      That's interesting... I assume that this was before the 303 was put into production as the Fast 303 ?

                                      DS.