opening ports

  • Denece &/or Bob Vincent <bluepearl@xx
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 1998
      FWIW one of the ports in our head compartment was adapted to being a
      small opening port by glassing in a section of the bulkhead/cabintop. We
      think it may have been done by the yard in Gosport since it is very
      professional looking with matching gel coat et al. The inner and outer
      walls there are several inches apart and whoever did this one beveled
      the area nicely. Two years ago it did develop a crack which instantly
      gaped open pretty atrociously, and our repair is somewhat less than
      successful cosmetically.
      Do be aware that the cabin sides slope, our port drains inboard quite
      well in any weather when opened! Some other ports I've seen have a rim
      that would direct water away better. Of coourse then they may prove to
      be ankle-biters!
      If you were planning to paint I would think it would be possible to get
      the longest available openers (or two short ones) reinforce and glass
      the area well, and have at. I doubt you'd ever match the gel-coat
      exactly so the change would be obvious if not painted.
      Have you contacted C&N about this? We wrote asking about doing an inner
      forestay, and a couple of other mods, a couple of years ago and were
      surprised to get a set of the original plans by return mail, showing
      where the deck was reinforced and what with.
    • dennis-gibbons@xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 21, 1998
        Denice et al
        Just back from Gosport with much to convey once I get over jet lag. Re
        opening ports. I had asked but they did not remember ever installing any.
        All ice boxes were insulated with foam but they had a "bubble" problem and
        you may have one gigantice air pocket in there. Re leaks. Some problems
        with leaking through the cap rail down the joint between the deck and hull.
        Some problems with shroud plates (u-bolts) fatigue. They suggest pulling
        one and checking for rust. More to come (no caps or t-shirts)

        ----------
        > From: Denece &/or Bob Vincent <bluepearl@...>
        > To: campernicholson@onelist.com
        > Subject: [campernicholson] opening ports
        > Date: Thursday, April 09, 1998 12:20 PM
        >
        > Help ONElist keep this service free, while generating interest in your
        > product or service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
        > Visit http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.

        ___

        > From: Denece &/or Bob Vincent <bluepearl@...>
        >
        > FWIW one of the ports in our head compartment was adapted to being a
        > small opening port by glassing in a section of the bulkhead/cabintop. We
        > think it may have been done by the yard in Gosport since it is very
        > professional looking with matching gel coat et al. The inner and outer
        > walls there are several inches apart and whoever did this one beveled
        > the area nicely. Two years ago it did develop a crack which instantly
        > gaped open pretty atrociously, and our repair is somewhat less than
        > successful cosmetically.
        > Do be aware that the cabin sides slope, our port drains inboard quite
        > well in any weather when opened! Some other ports I've seen have a rim
        > that would direct water away better. Of coourse then they may prove to
        > be ankle-biters!
        > If you were planning to paint I would think it would be possible to get
        > the longest available openers (or two short ones) reinforce and glass
        > the area well, and have at. I doubt you'd ever match the gel-coat
        > exactly so the change would be obvious if not painted.
        > Have you contacted C&N about this? We wrote asking about doing an inner
        > forestay, and a couple of other mods, a couple of years ago and were
        > surprised to get a set of the original plans by return mail, showing
        > where the deck was reinforced and what with.

      • Robert &/or Denece Vincent
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 21, 1998
          Dennis
          Thanks tons 8-)
          Can hardly wait for your jet lag to retreat!