Re: Windvanes

  • Philip Ashworth
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
      Dear Denece,

      Does the center mounting of the Monitor mean that you are sacrificing
      your stern ladder?

      Has anyone else managed to keep their stern ladder with a center
      mounted wind vane?

      Philip Ashworth
      Odyssey # 223
      --- In campernicholson@y..., "Denece &/or Bob Vincent"
      <bluepearl@j...> wrote:
      > We have had an Autohelm and are installing the Monitor this Spring.
      It is my
      > understanding that centerline mounting is preferred but not
      absolutely
      > required. try www.scanmar.com , ( or is it scanmarine?) for
      further input.
      > They will send out their recomendation based on your info (be aware
      its
      > almost always for the Monitor). The site also has lots of windvane
      info.

      > Denece
      > less than six months till cruise-off!

    • Sten Engelstoft
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
        I have a Windpilot Pacific (servo pendulum) mounted on
        Blaamusling. It is mounted on the centerline and I had to move the
        ladder so that by now it is asymmetrically mounted to the starboard
        side. I had no problems what so ever to re-mount the ladder (using
        the original fittings) and just had to shorten one of the two folding
        tubes that supports the ladder on the stern
        Sten

        Rosemarie Boeck / Sten Engelstoft
        s/y BLAAMUSLING, Copenhagen (CN35 #112, OU 8028)
        MMSI: 219000628. mobile phone: +45 2147 7031
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 13, 2007
          Gang,
          I am trying to decide also and hope to hear from a couple of Nic 35 owners
          using the Windpilot out of Germany. BTW, I have obtained quotes as follows

          Aries: $5150
          Monitor: $4510
          Windpilot: $4100
          Sailomat $4300 plus shipping if from "current stock" or $5000 plus
          shipping regularly.
          Still waitng to hear from Voyager out of Canada

          Dennis Gibbons
          Dark Lady
          CN35-207
          dkgibbons at optonline dot net
        • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 13, 2007

            Hi Dennis,

            I saw your note on windvanes.  You may have seen that I have a Sailomat on Trutz.

            Clarify what Stellan Knoos means with regard to shipping from current stock.  I went for that option but what I got was a vane that had been damaged.  To be fair to him he did sort it out but I still have doubts that it is exactly right for my boat.  He recommended the larger ‘X’ unit and my view is that the oar shaft is too long.  You need the shorter one.

            Good luck with your ultimate decision.

            Rgds

            Colin

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 13, 2007
              Dennis,

              I have a Voyager. Put in on last spring. Have not had a chance to try
              it yet. I think Iona also has one. Cost was about $4500

              Tom

              --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Gibbons <dkgibbons@...>

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 14, 2007
                Dennis,

                I was digging through the file for non-related issues and came across
                the receipt for the vane. cost was $3700 shipping included. I do
                remember they offered to help install the vane. just cover travel
                cost. The rudder (wood) got damaged in shipping. They sent me a new
                rudder no charge and let me keep the old one which I epoxied to fix
                for a backup rudder.

                I had emailed Aries when researching for a vane and told them I had a
                wheel pilot and asked if there system would work with the pilot
                installed. I got a very short response back that said an Aries would
                not be the unit for me. I took that as they were not interested in
                gaining a new client and moved on.

                I looked at the Monitor and was close to getting one but I just could
                not get over the size of the thing. It definitely takes up all the
                room on the stern.

                Good luck with your research. Let us know what you end up with.

                Kind Regards,

                Tom

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 16, 2007
                  Gang,
                  I have heard back from Voyager and the price for the heavier duty unit is
                  about $4460 plus shipping.
                  I heard from Iona and they say that the Voyager and the Windpilot share
                  design. They have not used their windvane much as they had problems with
                  air flow due to Biminis, BBQ etc. If we estimate shipping for the Voyager
                  to be about $100, here is how they stack up pricewise

                  Aries $5150
                  Sailomat $5100 (list. special deal available for purchase "within next 7
                  days")
                  Voyager $4560
                  Monitor $4510
                  Windpilot $4100

                  From the feedback, Sailomat (specifically the owner) may not be worth the
                  trouble. That leaves the other three. I am surprised by the relatively low
                  price from Windpilot. I would have thought with the weak dollar (hell even
                  the Canadian dollar if higher!) that the Monitor would have a price
                  advantage.

                  Dennis Gibbons
                  dkgibbons at optonline dot net