Re: Self-introduction

  • Jerry Van Campen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 25, 2001
      David:

      Been off group for a little while so just sent you an email.

      If it is appropriate, I have just made contact with the Lister-Petter
      people in the UK. <keithmason@...> is the
      email address. Keith thinks that the engine is basically a VW Pirhana
      and most parts can be obtained thru VW.

      Contact him for Service Manual= 40 pounds.

      What is your hailing port?

      Contact me if I can be of any assistance.

      All the Best,
      Jerry Van Campen
      s/v No Regard
      CN 345 #13
      --- In campernicholson@egroups.com, comeaux@i... wrote:
      > Good day, all.
      >
      > I thought I would introduce myself, since I'm a fairly new addition
      > to the group, and I'm sure I'll be begging for help before too
      long .
      > . .
      >
      > On December 6, my wife and I purchased a 1979 Camper & Nicholsons
      > 345, Hull #6 (we think).
      > When we first inspected the boat, the owner told us that in the
      seven
      > years he knew the boat (he knew the previous owner from whom he
      > bought it), the boat had been sailed exactly once, for about an
      hour,
      > and had motored a few times a year, in protected waters. Other
      than
      > that, the boat had basically sat in protected tropical salt water.
      > So we knew we would have problems. Our surveyor pointed out some
      > major system problems: the turnbuckles exhibit hairline fractures;
      > none – NONE! – of the thru-hull valves operate; the engine
      is jury-
      > rigged in places; the bowpulpit is ugly. When we hauled her, the
      > bottom is ugly (not surprising on a boat that has not been out of
      the
      > water in 7+ years), but the hull appears to be in good shape, i.e.
      no
      > blistering (surprising on a boat that has not been out of the water
      > in 7+ years). In short, a project boat, but more boat than we
      > thought we could get for the money.
      >
      > Three hours after it left the harbor on her delivery here, the
      motor
      > craps out. Won't start. Two different diesel mechanics look at it
      > and say she's completely dead; the only option is a new engine. In
      > desperation, I call Pathfinder. They ask for the symptoms; I
      relate
      > the delivery captain's story; they say: The engine is not the
      > problem, it's the transmission. I ask our diesel mechanic to
      PLEASE
      > check the transmission. He has to pull the engine to remove the
      > transmission. Sure enough, the transmission is shot. But there's
      > lot of problems with the engine, too. Long story short: time to
      > rebuild. Mucho dinero. I'm not happy.
      >
      > As an aside, I am VERY impressed that Pathfinder's mom & pop shop
      > could diagnose the real problem by telephone with second-hand
      > information, when fairly experienced general diesel mechanics
      > couldn't do so with the engine in front of them + the same
      > information given to Pathfinder. Ultimately, Pathfinder informed
      me
      > the marinization is not even Pathfinder, but Petter, because it's a
      > C&N. Nevertheless, they know their stuff, and I haven't paid them
      > nickel.
      >
      > The bright side of all this is that we had to sail – without
      engine –
      > this boat around a few times to get her checked out (and, well,
      once
      > just for kicks). She sails like a dream.
      >
      > Right now, she's on the hard. The engine is out of the boat being
      > rebuilt, so we took the time to do what we expected to after the
      > survey: Replace all the thru-hulls and get the bottom painted.
      > These are being done by professionals, but there are some other
      > projects we're taking on our own. I'll post questions on these
      > separately; this is just an introduction, right?
      >
      > This is our first sailboat. Although I fancy myself to be
      > mechanically inclined, I haven't actually DONE much mechanical work
      > in a long time. So I apologize in advance if I ask some really
      dumb
      > questions (like a couple I'll ask tonight).
      >
      > Despite the unexpected extra financial outlay, we are satisfied as
      we
      > begin our life with our new C&N 345. We look forward to begging
      your
      > indulgence, and welcome any help we novices can provide to the rest
      > of you in return.
      >
      > David & Danielle
      > S/v [we're going to rename her, so superstition prevents me from
      > posting the new name yet]
      > C&N 345 #06
    • Eucherio Rodrigues
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 18, 2005
        Good day, all.

        Please allow me to introduce myself:

        My name is Eucherio Rodrigues, I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Two
        years ago I've bought and restored a 1981 C&N 345 (Fast) #6
        called "Prana". There has been built around 120 boats under licence
        from C&N here in Brazil under the name "Fast 345". The first ones,
        including mine, were built to the exact specs of the original CN 345:
        3/4 fractional rig, spade rudder and fin lead keel.

        Although the company doesn't exist anymore, It is still one of the
        most popular sailboats around here. It sails like a dream, has a
        strong hull and is reasonably confortable.

        She does not have the original VW engine, it has been replaced by a
        Yanmar 3GM30F 27 hp.

        I' would appreciate to get any available printed material concerning
        the CN 345, such as: brochures, articles etc.

        Also, I'll be willing to share experiences about restoring and
        mantaining this lovely boat.

        Thanks,
        Eucherio