SSB counterpose ground system

  • peter walzer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2001
      To folks that have installed SSB, how have you handled the ground for the
      unit? I understand that the best way is to have about 100 sq. ft. of copper
      foil glassed into the inside of the hull below the waterline. Has anyone
      done this? Can you solder the foil together? Do you need something like
      copper flashing? If you use a dynaplate, how long does it last? Please, what
      has your experience been? Thank you.

      Peter
      Sundancer
      CN 39-02
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2001
        Peter,
        I spent MONTHS thinking that issue through and researching. This is what I
        decided to do and I'm sure others disagree. I have only used the SSB a few
        times but I have not heard that anyone can't receive my signal. I also got
        into Sail Mail across the continent.
        Contrary to usual practice, I did not directly tie the engine block into the
        counterpoise network. I am very concerned about galvanic action (no zincs
        in engine). I have also yet to connect the transceiver case into the
        counterpoise but may do that this year.

        I bought 25 feet of 3 inch foil. I scrubbed and scuffed a path for it from
        the stern (tuner), past the tank, the engine, under the battery box (removed
        for access), under the bulkhead, under the nav station, along the side of
        the water tank and ending at the mast step. I had a small dynaplate beneath
        the head and ran another piece of foil from that back to the same place at
        the mast step. I drilled a 5/16" hole down the mast step into the lead keel
        and tapped it and threaded in a bronze bolt which I had converted into
        threaded rod by cutting off the head. I seal. the rod in place with 5200.
        After folding the foil into an arrow head and soldering the folds, I drilled
        it and attached it to the rod by capturing it between two nuts.

        Attached is a drawing.
        dennis-gibbons@...