Self-introduction

  • comeaux@islands.vi
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2001
      Good day, all.

      I thought I would introduce myself, since I'm a fairly new addition
      to the group, and I'm sure I'll be begging for help before too long .
      . .

      On December 6, my wife and I purchased a 1979 Camper & Nicholsons
      345, Hull #6 (we think).
      When we first inspected the boat, the owner told us that in the seven
      years he knew the boat (he knew the previous owner from whom he
      bought it), the boat had been sailed exactly once, for about an hour,
      and had motored a few times a year, in protected waters. Other than
      that, the boat had basically sat in protected tropical salt water.
      So we knew we would have problems. Our surveyor pointed out some
      major system problems: the turnbuckles exhibit hairline fractures;
      none – NONE! – of the thru-hull valves operate; the engine is jury-
      rigged in places; the bowpulpit is ugly. When we hauled her, the
      bottom is ugly (not surprising on a boat that has not been out of the
      water in 7+ years), but the hull appears to be in good shape, i.e. no
      blistering (surprising on a boat that has not been out of the water
      in 7+ years). In short, a project boat, but more boat than we
      thought we could get for the money.

      Three hours after it left the harbor on her delivery here, the motor
      craps out. Won't start. Two different diesel mechanics look at it
      and say she's completely dead; the only option is a new engine. In
      desperation, I call Pathfinder. They ask for the symptoms; I relate
      the delivery captain's story; they say: The engine is not the
      problem, it's the transmission. I ask our diesel mechanic to PLEASE
      check the transmission. He has to pull the engine to remove the
      transmission. Sure enough, the transmission is shot. But there's a
      lot of problems with the engine, too. Long story short: time to
      rebuild. Mucho dinero. I'm not happy.

      As an aside, I am VERY impressed that Pathfinder's mom & pop shop
      could diagnose the real problem by telephone with second-hand
      information, when fairly experienced general diesel mechanics
      couldn't do so with the engine in front of them + the same
      information given to Pathfinder. Ultimately, Pathfinder informed me
      the marinization is not even Pathfinder, but Petter, because it's a
      C&N. Nevertheless, they know their stuff, and I haven't paid them a
      nickel.

      The bright side of all this is that we had to sail – without engine –
      this boat around a few times to get her checked out (and, well, once
      just for kicks). She sails like a dream.

      Right now, she's on the hard. The engine is out of the boat being
      rebuilt, so we took the time to do what we expected to after the
      survey: Replace all the thru-hulls and get the bottom painted.
      These are being done by professionals, but there are some other
      projects we're taking on our own. I'll post questions on these
      separately; this is just an introduction, right?

      This is our first sailboat. Although I fancy myself to be
      mechanically inclined, I haven't actually DONE much mechanical work
      in a long time. So I apologize in advance if I ask some really dumb
      questions (like a couple I'll ask tonight).

      Despite the unexpected extra financial outlay, we are satisfied as we
      begin our life with our new C&N 345. We look forward to begging your
      indulgence, and welcome any help we novices can provide to the rest
      of you in return.

      David & Danielle
      S/v [we're going to rename her, so superstition prevents me from
      posting the new name yet]
      C&N 345 #06
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 11, 2001
        Welcome David, Danielle and the boat with no name,

        I have the same engine that you do and agree that John and his wife have
        been lifesavers. I would send them the money to join the Pathfinder
        Association. Your will get a Pathfinder manual and transmission manual plus
        diagrams for our engine wiring system (ask John for that as I sent him a
        copy of mine). Also the fee is only fair for all the help they have and
        will continue to give you. I am pretty experienced with the engine and can
        help also.
        One question. Do you recall the oil pressure you were running? Some of the
        engines run too high (mine included) and the time to fix it (replace the oil
        pump) is when the boat is already out of the engine. Also replace the
        timing belt now and every 1000 hours hence. Make sure you have two fuel
        filters (I have a 30 micron Racor followed by a Bosche). Do not use Fram
        oil filters (Mann or WIX are okay)

        Whew.
        that's all my "hints from Heloise" for now.
        dennis-gibbons@...

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 11, 2001
          Dennis,

          Whats the story with Fram oil filters? I replaced last season's worn out VW
          filter with a FRAM, so I'd like to know now if I need to replace it again
          :-(

          Graham

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 11, 2001
            As John at Pathfinder explained to me, the startup oil pressure of the
            engine is well over 110psi and can implode a fragile oil filter such as the
            Fram. I could not fit the VW/Mann oil filter in my boat so after much
            discussion (John went out and bought a Wix to cut open) we decided the Wix
            would suffice. Yes I would get rid of the filter now. The VW/Mann is cheap
            insurance. How about your fuel filter setup?
            dennis-gibbons@...
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 11, 2001
              Currently I just have a single Racor fuel filter. So I guess a second
              filter is something else to add to my odd-job list. I did have success
              fitting the timing belt late last year, just before the weather took a long
              term dive sub-zero. Not too bad a job once you figure out how the bottom
              pulley comes off. In the end I didn't require any special tools, just some
              masking tape, a pen and lots of counting of teeth.

              Graham

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 11, 2001
                Graham,
                I found the tools worth the small investment. Locking the camshaft and the
                rocker arms must have been a real pain. I used two sets of feeler gauges
                also.
                dennis-gibbons@...
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 11, 2001
                  I didn't lock the arms. By carefully marking specific teeth on each of the
                  pulleys & the old belt (using masking tape) I was able to transfer the marks
                  to the new belt and put that back in the same position. The top pulley did
                  rotate a little (10 deg) as I took the old belt off, but realignment was
                  pretty easy.

                  The tools would certainly have made the job easier, but I don't think there
                  will be any problems. I tripple checked the counts of the teeth between
                  each mark and all the way round the belt. Fun stuff upside down under the
                  cockpit!!

                  Graham

                  > I found the tools worth the small investment. Locking the camshaft and the
                  > rocker arms must have been a real pain. I used two sets of feeler gauges
                  > also.
                • Jerry Van Campen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 25, 2001
                    David:

                    Been off group for a little while so just sent you an email.

                    If it is appropriate, I have just made contact with the Lister-Petter
                    people in the UK. <keithmason@...> is the
                    email address. Keith thinks that the engine is basically a VW Pirhana
                    and most parts can be obtained thru VW.

                    Contact him for Service Manual= 40 pounds.

                    What is your hailing port?

                    Contact me if I can be of any assistance.

                    All the Best,
                    Jerry Van Campen
                    s/v No Regard
                    CN 345 #13

                  • Eucherio Rodrigues
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 18, 2005
                      Good day, all.

                      Please allow me to introduce myself:

                      My name is Eucherio Rodrigues, I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Two
                      years ago I've bought and restored a 1981 C&N 345 (Fast) #6
                      called "Prana". There has been built around 120 boats under licence
                      from C&N here in Brazil under the name "Fast 345". The first ones,
                      including mine, were built to the exact specs of the original CN 345:
                      3/4 fractional rig, spade rudder and fin lead keel.

                      Although the company doesn't exist anymore, It is still one of the
                      most popular sailboats around here. It sails like a dream, has a
                      strong hull and is reasonably confortable.

                      She does not have the original VW engine, it has been replaced by a
                      Yanmar 3GM30F 27 hp.

                      I' would appreciate to get any available printed material concerning
                      the CN 345, such as: brochures, articles etc.

                      Also, I'll be willing to share experiences about restoring and
                      mantaining this lovely boat.

                      Thanks,
                      Eucherio