Sea water intake

  • chivaree@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2001
      Has anyone had experience with the foul rotten egg smell from their
      galley sea water intake. The odor from ours is so bad we cannot use
      the water.

      Any suggestions?

      Jack & Crissie Staats

      S/V Iona CN-35 #135
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2001
        Most likely there is a loop in the line which allowed seawater to ferment.
        I think you have to disconnect the line and clean/replace it. Be sure and
        shut the seacock first :).
        dennis-gibbons@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2001
          My suggestion is to install two inline water filters. The first one should
          have a conventional filter to separate out particulates. Its primary
          purpose is to protect the second inline filter from becoming clogged. The
          second one should contain activated charcoal which will remove any remaining
          odors. I've used this kind of filter system for about 20 years and it's been
          very effective. Duke
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2001
            I think he is talking about sea water, not drinking water
            dennis-gibbons@...

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2001
              Depending what sort of climate you sail in, the organisms in sea water do
              have a nasty habit of fermenting. The first pump of our Lavac head is a
              awful after just 1 week sitting in the 70F water of the Chesapeake Bay.
              The problem is far less pervasive at the beggining and end of a season due
              to the cooler water temperatures.

              All I could suggest is making sure the intake is drained back as far as it
              will go so the water doesn't sit stagnant in the pipe for long periods.

              Graham