Various

  • Thomas J. Stanton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 1998
      When we purchased "Discovery" last year, I did not realize how few
      Camper
      Nicholsons there were on this side of the Atlantic. I really appreciate
      this list and to hear from others out there who are struggling with
      Piranha engines and the like.

      Ours is a 40 A.C. (aft cockpit) ketch. She is such a beautiful,
      well-built thing and we feel strongly we made a good decision to buy
      her. However, the reality of bringing Discovery back from years of
      disuse has meant much hard work and more money than I anticipated.

      Last year we went for safety items including new rigging since we
      had to bring her down from Newport to the Chesapeake. She was wonderful
      in the ocean.

      The seller was 82 and Discovery had sat unused for four years.
      Almost all of the Blake sea cocks were frozen and my first reaction was
      to replace them all. However after some research, I changed my mind.
      The yard said they had never seen one of these fail. I called Blake in
      England. Blake said that their experience was that their sea cocks
      last routinely 25 years and some 35 to 40 years. That the design is 50
      years old, relatively bullet proof. The yard easily freed and cleaned
      all the frozen units. However, at winter lay-up I could not locate the
      head intake, and finally discovered it under the shower sump. It was so
      badly frozen and corroded that we replaced it, yet the yard cleaned up
      the throw-away as "a spare" and I was very surprised to see how little
      damage the interior and exterior corrosion and sixteen years of use at
      sea had done to the unit. I would not recommend that these be replaced
      unless they are failing. Blake said that the bolts seem to be the site
      of most problems that arise and new replacement bolts are available from
      Defender Industries, Waterford, CT.

      This year I have been struggling with interior cosmetics and
      replumbing, new cushions, years of dirt and grime, cleaning and painting
      lockers and cleaning just about everything. I recently obtained a
      number of small replacement parts from Camper-Nicholsons, locker
      latches, hinges, lee cloth tie downs, water tank gaskets, barrel bolts,
      etc. Someone, a week or so ago asked for the address. It is:
      Camper & Nicholsons (Yachts) Ltd.
      The Green
      Gosport, Hampshire PO12 1AH, U.K

      The main cabin table was wobbly even after its bolts were
      tightened. As part of the replumbing, it was necessary to remove the
      floor to connect the new lines to the main water tank. We found that
      the table was bolted through the flooring to an aluminium plate screwed
      to the sub floor. The problem was that the stainless bolts had corroded
      the aluminium screw holes taped into the plate. Only two were holding.
      Two were held with caulk. We were able to get a machine shop to
      duplicate the plate in stainless and the table no longer wobbles.

      Last year's re-rigging was done by a large yard in Connecticut after
      a full inspection.. This year -- prior to having the rig tightened up
      as the Connecticut rigger recommended -- I had a very good rigger here
      in Annapolis look at the job and the mast. The mast was an early
      internal main furler. The self furling system had some serious problems
      in the boat's Atlantic crossing and the boat is now rigged with a normal
      main. The Annapolis rigger has found serious spreader weld cracks and
      has recommended a new main mast. Has anyone had any similar problem or
      recommendations. Our mast was made by John Powell in England.

      Tom Stanton