Re: [campernicholson] Re:autopilot

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 26, 2000
      Barry,
      A 5000 was installed by CN as by my hull number they had offered either
      unit. The previous owner upgraded the computer to the 6000 and I upgraded
      the ram unit. The big difference is that the unit uses a ram rather than
      the rotary chain in the Neco. Therefore installation would be a lot of
      work.
      I have been very pleased with the unit. the wind sensor works well and I
      used it on the way to Bermuda a couple of years ago in 35-40 knots. You
      just have to go off autopilot once and a while to check the load and you
      tend to reef earlier. the draw is much less than the neco and I have been
      able to interconnect my autopilot compass, radar and gps to get all the
      infor on my radar screen (compass course, lat/lon and heading).

      dennis-gibbons@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 27, 2000
        Dennis--My NECO has a linear drive. Is that the same as the 6000? Did your
        boat come with a 5000? How did that work? Although I have used the
        autopilot under sail, I've mostly used it for long boring motor trips in flat
        water in the Chesapeake. The boat is now in Florida and we're going to the
        Bahamas next month. --Barry
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 27, 2000
          Barry
          A linear and a ram are the same. Of course I'm sure that the Autohelm won't
          fit where the Neco was. Where is the ram motor situated and how does it
          connect to the rudder shaft?
          As I said, CN installed the original 5000 which got upgraded to the 6000.
          That was easy as all the brackets had conversion plates made by autohelm
          dennis-gibbons@...
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 28, 2000
            Dennis - My CN39/02 had a NECO (1976 electronics and drive) rotary drive and
            still does. I added a Brooks and Gatehouse linear drive unit. An additional
            aluminum bracket was attached to the original steering cable pads for the
            linear/hydraulic/ram unit. I contracted the whole thing out, it cost about
            $4000. and was done by BIG Electronisc in Rock Hall. I recommend him. It
            works great. The original NECO still works but has about a 30 degree offset
            from compas to steering course. I just use the B&G. I suppose some day I
            will remove the NECO and gain a big storage area around the rotary drive.

            Peter