Re: [campernicholson] Re:autopilot

  • BarryR8195@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 26, 2000
      Dennis--Tell me about the 6000 autopilot. Did you replace a NECO? Hoow
      difficult was the installation? How does it hold the boat in a sea? Can it
      be set to hold the boat to the apparent wind? --Barry
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 26, 2000
        Barry,
        A 5000 was installed by CN as by my hull number they had offered either
        unit. The previous owner upgraded the computer to the 6000 and I upgraded
        the ram unit. The big difference is that the unit uses a ram rather than
        the rotary chain in the Neco. Therefore installation would be a lot of
        work.
        I have been very pleased with the unit. the wind sensor works well and I
        used it on the way to Bermuda a couple of years ago in 35-40 knots. You
        just have to go off autopilot once and a while to check the load and you
        tend to reef earlier. the draw is much less than the neco and I have been
        able to interconnect my autopilot compass, radar and gps to get all the
        infor on my radar screen (compass course, lat/lon and heading).

        dennis-gibbons@...
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 27, 2000
          Dennis--My NECO has a linear drive. Is that the same as the 6000? Did your
          boat come with a 5000? How did that work? Although I have used the
          autopilot under sail, I've mostly used it for long boring motor trips in flat
          water in the Chesapeake. The boat is now in Florida and we're going to the
          Bahamas next month. --Barry
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 27, 2000
            Barry
            A linear and a ram are the same. Of course I'm sure that the Autohelm won't
            fit where the Neco was. Where is the ram motor situated and how does it
            connect to the rudder shaft?
            As I said, CN installed the original 5000 which got upgraded to the 6000.
            That was easy as all the brackets had conversion plates made by autohelm
            dennis-gibbons@...
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 28, 2000
              Dennis - My CN39/02 had a NECO (1976 electronics and drive) rotary drive and
              still does. I added a Brooks and Gatehouse linear drive unit. An additional
              aluminum bracket was attached to the original steering cable pads for the
              linear/hydraulic/ram unit. I contracted the whole thing out, it cost about
              $4000. and was done by BIG Electronisc in Rock Hall. I recommend him. It
              works great. The original NECO still works but has about a 30 degree offset
              from compas to steering course. I just use the B&G. I suppose some day I
              will remove the NECO and gain a big storage area around the rotary drive.

              Peter