Latches and other stuff

  • Stephen Perry
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 1998
      Hi everyone,

      Does anyone know where to get replacement latches for the lid of the anchor
      locker? Ours has two recessed square drive latches (that open with a
      tapered square drive key) & one is broken. Our companionway stairs use the
      same latches too, and one of those is broken.

      We sent a fax to C&N, but they do not think replacement parts are available
      anymore. (They called them "Budget" latches in their fax.)

      Does anyone know of a source (U.S. or elsewhere) for these latches? In
      addition to replacing the ones that are broken, we thought they would be
      useful for locking down the bilgeboards when we (someday) go on an extended
      cruise.

      If anyone has replaced their latches with something else, we'd be interested
      in hearing about it, what you used and how it's worked out.

      Our boat, by the way, is still up in Massachusetts. Still working on
      her....had a bit of a scare two weeks ago, though. The yard launched the
      boat on a Thursday, and on Friday someone noticed she was sitting rather low
      in the water. The yard checked the cabin and discovered several inches of
      water above the cabin sole. The problem was a brass fitting installed below
      the water line that (not surprisingly) failed. It was on the salt water
      foot pump in the galley which was plumbed into the engine water intake
      line. The yard was working on the engine and the seacock was left open when
      the boat was launched...and the fitting gave up the ghost.

      We were lucky someone noticed there was a problem. The brass fitting was
      pretty well-hidden; The surveyor had missed it (and so had we!) and the
      boat did not yet have an automatic bilge pump on board. In fact, the day
      the yard called with news of the near-sinking, our new pump arrived from
      West Marine via UPS. Luckily there was no damage, just a few warped
      bilgeboards. It was tougher mentally - we kicked our selves a few times for
      missing the brass fitting, and eyed everything below the water line with
      renewed suspicion. In retrospect, it was probably a blessing in disguise
      that it happened right after the launching (and not at 2 am halfway between
      MA and NY!)

      But we're getting there! Would have gone for a sail last weekend, but there
      wasn't a breath of wind, so we contented ourselves with motoring around.
      Hopefully, this weekend....

      Stephen & Mary
      C/N 35 "Levity"
    • ric.harris625
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2014
        Steve,

        I am looking for suitable latches for my anchor locker lid, did you find a good solution for Levity?

        Best,
        Rick Harris
      • MARK HOENKE
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 22, 2014

          http://www.marinepartdepot.com/index.html

          Marine parts depot.  – If you can’t find it – you don’t need it.