Re: [campernicholson] Strut

  • Steve & Mary Perry
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 17, 2000
      Dennis,

      If there is that little play, where there is only 1/16" under pressure, I
      would consider sanding all the paint away from the hull area that surrounds
      the shaft strut, and see if you can detect any kind of diesel fuel. If you
      don't detect any diesel in that fiberglass area, I would take a dremmel tool
      and make a little groove in the fiberglass around the prop strut, then fill
      that with either 3M 5200 or a product called Methacrylate (has various
      formulations, some of which are designed to actually "etch" into metal or
      fiberglass. They are high tech adhesives that specifically adhere
      fiberglass to metal). I have a couple of sources in my records - if you're
      interested I will get them for you.

      Steve Perry
      CN35 #80
      Levity

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • BarryR8195@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 17, 2000
        Last year while motoring down the ICW we started taking on water from a
        mysterious leak somewhere under the engine. At first it was too little to
        worry about; the bilge pump handled it just fine. We went outside from
        Charleston to the mouth of the St. John's River (near Jacksonville) and got
        caught in some rough weather (an outer band of hurricane Irene). By the time
        we got in, the leak had grown worse, requiring pumping of the bilge every
        hour. We couldn't find the leak. We replaced the electric bilge pump and
        continued to motor south. I telephoned ahead to a boatyard near Stuart to
        arrange for a haul out and inspection.
        We finally determined that the leak was coming from the strut. When
        the boat was hauled out it could be seen that the strut was moving in and out
        of the hull. There was about three quarters of an inch of movement.
        The strut is is held in place by a pin at the top. The top of the strut
        and pin are then encapsulated in fiberglass. It appears that the pin finally
        corroded out, allowing the strut to move up and down as the prop turned. The
        movement was enough to crack the fiberglass of the encapsulation and cause
        the leak.
        We had the whole assembly rebuilt at David Lowe's Boatyard near
        Stuart, Florida. It's a first rate yeard & they are now familiar with how to
        repair th C &N 35 strut! Because of the motion,aoowed by the loose strut the
        prop shaft had substantial uneven wear and was also replaced. We also
        replaced the cutlass bearing. The arrangement is now stronger than ever and
        does not leak! The boat will now enjoy another winter in Florida & the
        Bahamas.

        Barry Roberts C & N 35 #151 "WILDFLOWER"
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 18, 2000
          Steve,
          Thanks for the reply. I have the number of the adhesive suppliers from a
          previous email of yours. I am wondering if the flexibility of 5200 may be
          an advantage given the tiny bit of movement that will remain.
          I did a quick and dirty covering with it after the quick haul and while it
          reduced the leak, it did not adhere very well. It was a cold day when I put
          it on though.

          I'm going to mull it over for a month or two but I was leaning towards your
          idea. I will have a couple of months of local sailing to test it before I
          go anywhere major. One advantage to my "Winter of discontent" is the time to
          think such decisions through. Let's plan a get-together over the winter.
          dennis-gibbons@...
          > If there is that little play, where there is only 1/16" under pressure, I
          > would consider sanding all the paint away from the hull area that
          surrounds
          > the shaft strut, and see if you can detect any kind of diesel fuel. If you
          > don't detect any diesel in that fiberglass area, I would take a dremmel
          tool
          > and make a little groove in the fiberglass around the prop strut, then
          fill
          > that with either 3M 5200 or a product called Methacrylate (has various
          > formulations, some of which are designed to actually "etch" into metal or
          > fiberglass. They are high tech adhesives that specifically adhere
          > fiberglass to metal). I have a couple of sources in my records - if
          you're
          > interested I will get them for you.
          >
          > Steve Perry
          > CN35 #80
          > Levity
          >

          > >From: "Dennis Gibbons" <dennis-gibbons@...>
          > >To: "Nick Easthope" <trogon01@...>, "Nicholson-35's"
          > ><campernicholson@egroups.com>
          > >Subject: [campernicholson] Strut
          > >Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0500
          > >
          > >After noticing that I was taking a bit (about 1 cup per 24 hrs) of water
          up
          > >through the propeller shaft strut junction, I hauled my boat. By
          applying
          > >strong back I am able to induce less than 1/16" movement in the strut.
          In
          > >other words barely perceptible. Removing and reinstallation is a MAJOR
          > >ordeal in that the supportive bulkhead would have to be replaced. Any
          > >experience/opinions in this area would be appreciated
          > >
          > >--
          > >
          > >Dennis Gibbons
          > >S/V Dark Lady
          > >CN35-207
          > >dennis-gibbons@...

          > http://profiles.msn.com

        • John + Gill Macnab
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 19, 2000
            When we bought Barabu (#170) we had a similar problem of slight
            movement between the P bracket strut and the hull. This came to light
            when we had the vessel surveyed prior to purchase and our surveyor's
            advice was to cut back the external laminate and replace. We had this
            done at the same time as other work by a boatyard at a cost of £157
            (say $225) and it is still ok after 5 years. I can't give you any
            more detail about the repair but hopefully this does give you some
            hope that it won't be massively expensive

            --- In campernicholson@egroups.com, "Dennis Gibbons" <dennis-