New list member: Blue Moon CN35 #220

  • gnorbury@cisco.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 13, 2000
      Hello!

      Thanks to calm conditions and a chance meeting meeting with Al Boyce
      enjoying an afternoon sail aboard 'Discovery' a few weeks back, I can
      now take this opportunity to introduce myself to some fellow Nicholson
      afficionados.

      This week marks the imminent end of my second season with "Blue
      Moon", a CN35 built in 1984 (hull number 220). If you ever happen to
      find yourself near Herrington Harbor North on the western shore of the
      Chesapeake Bay, stop by dock F30 or search us out on the hard and say
      hello.

      Browsing the back archives turned up some interesting reading;
      Dennis, your tales of diesel leaks and strut/skeg problems strike
      fear into my heart. Last winter while the transmission was out for
      rebuild I noticed a continual slow seepage of diesel appearing to come
      from a small "hole" in the oil drip pan just underneath the shaft log
      tube. I never did conclusively determine where it originated,
      eventually I figured it must be return of prior spillages that seeped
      into the same hole during a period of multiple leaks when I first
      aquired the vessel. Please don't let it be the same problem as
      yours!!!!

      In case anyone is interested in my experiences with some major
      (aka, 'expensive') work items, the following were undertaken during
      the past year or so:
      - transmission rebuild, new shaft, cutlass bearing & prop
      - replace standing rigging & chainplates
      - new bimini & dodger (just don't ask! - incomplete after 9 months)
      - this winter will replace B&G Hunter electronics with something more
      modern

      By way of a parting question concerning spares for the VW Piranha
      engine: Does anyone know of a source for the freshwater pump
      preferably from somewhere in the U.S.?
      - in case you were wondering, that orange lump of iron and I have a
      serious love-hate relationship. Last season the poor girl was leaking
      water and diesel from nearly every hose union; as fast as I'd tighten
      one up, another would start to leak. Having finally got that sorted
      out I now notice the freshwater pump pulley is starting to wobble
      ominously and seems to be predicting imminent doom for its bearing.

      Best regards to all, and roll on next spring!
      Graham Norbury
      s/v Blue Moon, CN35 #220
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 14, 2000
        Graham,

        Welcome aboard. I think I know your boat. From whom did you buy it and how
        long did the previous owner have it? Why are you replacing the chainplate
        pins? Where are you having them fabricated?

        Regarding the engine. The FRESH water pump is a VW item. I will try and
        track down the part number and you can order it from VW. BTW, I joined a
        Pathfinder engine owners group sponsored by a small company in Canada. The
        Pathfinder is a Canadian/American engine based on the same VW block. The
        majority of the conversion is the same. You can get a complete manual for
        the engine and the transmission. It is the ONLY source for marine parts as
        the Piranha is no longer made, part are no longer avaible ( I have the last
        oil cooler on the planet) and the previous manufacturer (Lester-Peter) has
        long ago abandoned us.

        Pathfinder Marine
        514/695-6676
        ask for John Scherer

        BTW, when was the timing belt last changed on the engine?

        dennis-gibbons@...

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 14, 2000
          Dennis,

          We bought the boat in June 1999 from a couple of ladies who, as far as I can
          tell, owned her for 2.5 years during which they took her down to the
          Carribean and back. In terms of maintenance, anything visible was polished
          but anything mechanical under a hatch (such as an engine) was completely
          ignored. My impression is that prior to this the original owners were very
          thorough and a took care of everything as soon as it was needed.

          Since I've not changed the timing belt, my guess is its at least 4 years
          old. I have been wondering if it needs doing and coincidentally I do have a
          spare, but according to the workshop manual this operation may require
          special alignment tools. If you have any advice in this area I'd be very
          happy to hear it; whats the recommended replacement interval?

          In some of the old paperwork that came with the boat I did find references
          to the Pathfinder engine and also the Canadian owners group but I've not
          been able to find anything further and concluded it was probably now
          defunct.

          Thanks for the tips and good luck with Dark Lady.
          Graham

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 14, 2000
            Graham,

            The belt should be changed every 1000 hours. It's important because if it
            breaks the valves will get crushed and a major rebuild is required. Yes a
            couple of special tools are required but if you are a decent mechanic you
            can do it yourself. Otherwise go to a decent VW shop and offer to hire a
            mechanic on his day off.
            Pathfinder Marine is still up and running.
            dennis-gibbons@...

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 14, 2000
              Dennis,

              The innaccurate little hour meter says approximately "2100" so its probably
              time to do the job. Great, I just love grovveling round upside down under
              the cockpit ;-)

              Thanks
              Graham

            • raoulb@erols.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 28, 2001
                Graham,

                If you need information about your Nic 35 (Blue Moon, #220)
                maintenance history, I can send you the names and address of the
                original owners if you don't already have that information. They live
                here in the Washington DC area. Blue Moon is the former "Evangeline."

                I am assembling a list of all US/Canada Nicholson owners who have
                contacted us since our posting of message #1055, and will forward
                that information on to all of you.

                Were any Nicholson owners on this list present at the 1st North
                American Camper & Nicholsons Rendezvous? It took place on July 22,
                1983 in South Dartmouth, Massachusetts, and was organized by Bill and
                Elizabeth Roesner (CN 31, "Blueprint").

                Raoul Benveniste

                CN 35, #99 "First Star" (ex "Nichol More", ex "Minoan").
                Former owner CN 32, #296 "Sea Lady" (ex "Bay Lady").

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 28, 2001
                  Raoul,

                  Thanks for your offer. I'm certainly interested in getting in touch with the original owners since it is clear from many of the manuals passed on with the boat that they took exception care of her. Unfortunately I cannot say such kind words of the people we bought the boat from.

                  regards
                  Graham

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 28, 2001
                    Graham,

                    Happy to provide their name and address and phone number. But they
                    may not want that information listed here. Please e-mail me instead
                    so that I can answer that way.

                    Raoul
                  • BarryR8195@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 28, 2001
                      We were at the Nicholson Rendevouz in Massachusetts in 1983 and at a
                      subsequent one in Three Mile Harbour at the eastern end of Long
                      Island.--Barry & Joan Roberts (C & N 35 #151 "WIldflower")