726Re: Any News?

  • Sten Engelstoft
    Feb 8 1:19 AM
      To: campernicholson@onelist.com
      Date sent: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 19:44:56 EST
      From: Jteipen@...
      Send reply to: campernicholson@onelist.com
      Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Any News?

      Jim
      Thank you for your answer. I have a slight language problem with
      the technical terms; by packing flax are you referring to the yarn
      that is also used for plumbing? If so why 'diameter' and did you
      grease the packing in some way?

      For the time being though, I'll just try to tighten the flange bolts as
      the leak isn't a real problem ..... yet and we have just had the boat
      hauled out last week of 1999 where we changed the gunwale and
      added treadmaster to the deck.

      Sten

      > Your rudder stock has a packing gland which keeps the water out. You
      > should find a large flange fitting with two bolts around the rudder
      > stock where the stock passes down through the hull. Once you remove
      > the bolts, you should be able to slide the flange up along the shaft
      > to access the old packing , clean it out and put in several rows of
      > new packing. It might take some prying since the packing flax tends
      > to hold the flange in place.
      >
      > I just repacked the gland on Alegria during a recent haulout and could
      > provide the diameter of the correct packing flax if you like. I
      > don't think trying to repack it with the boat in the water is
      > advisable but it might be possible. If you don't want to haul, you
      > might try just tightening the flange bolts a bit to see if you can
      > stop the leak or slow it down.
      >
      > Jim Teipen
      > SV Alegria
      > CN 35-68

      > ----------------------------
      >
      > Want To Be Showered With Kisses?
      > Visit eGroups Valentine Gift Guide
      > Here</a>

      > --

      Sten Engelstoft
      Associate professor, Ph.D
      Institute of Geography, University of Copenhagen
      �stervoldgade 10
      DK - 1350 Copenhagen K
      Phone +45 35 32 25 65 Fax +45 35 32 25 01
      http://www.geogr.ku.dk
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic