6740Re: [campernicholson] Replacement Wheel

  • galljj35
    Jun 12, 2014
      If you use a gear puller that has a center shaft that fits in the bolt hole then you should put something over the hole to prevent the shaft damaging the threads. If you damage then you need to run a tap in there to chase the threads.

      Voice of experience speaking, even though I was forewarned.

      Does anyone know the taper on the shaft? British standard taper, like the taper on the prop shaft ?

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 12, 2014, at 8:13 AM, "John Stothart john.stothart@... [campernicholson]" <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I have removed the wheel on "Dabbler" Nich 35 hull 79.
      I undid the nut and had to use a puller to get the wheel off. There is a small easily lose-able crescent shaped key that fits in the shaft.

      Regards,
      John

      On 12 Jun 2014, at 12:33, "s.mcvittie@... [campernicholson]" <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I have a 1978 Nic 35 and was trying to replace the steering wheel.  It is the older "inverted V" pedestal with a tapered steering shaft. The current wheel is bolted to the shaft via internal threads (as opposed to the shaft having a threaded end to receive a locking nut).

      Has anyone successfully changed the wheel and if so what steps did you need to go through?  It appears that most modern wheels have the wrong taper and/or key.

      All suggestions welcome!

      Thanks for your help.

      Stephen

      Dagmara II - No 154