6729Re: [campernicholson] Andromeda Of Arisag / Hull 167 / Carl Hurth HBW Gearbox Prop Shaft Coupling

    Jun 9, 2014

      The hbw150 doesn't need a cooler in a sailboat application, but sometimes they have a bolt-on raw water block fitted externally.  Gotta watch corrosion on those.  Mine had one originally  but it was removed prior to my ownership.

      On Jun 9, 2014 1:27 AM, "Colin Campbell-Dunlop colin@... [campernicholson]" <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I would agree with that Graham. We had a leak of fluid from the rear seal on our Hurth 150V. Took it to Lancing Marine in the UK and they dismantled it and sleeved the shaft (which had some pitting) put in new seals. All good. No leaks.

      I wonder whether we could do with a gearbox oil cooler though. Has anyone fitted one of those?  Thoughts?

      We have a PSS seal too. Bit of a tight fit to get it in the space available and would be even more so if the flexible coupling were fitted aft of the gearbox.

      On 8 Jun 2014, at 21:37, "Graham Norbury gnorbury@... [campernicholson]" <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      My Nic35 had a HBW150 v-drive which had a Vetus flexible coupling on the fwd side of the transmission.  It was an unusual arrangement that I've not seen again in 10+yrs of working in a boatyard.  I suspect other Nic35's may have been configured the same way.

      If the "coupling" is leaking oil, it's probably the output shaft seal on the gearbox.

      On 6/8/2014 3:04 PM, jveslov@... [campernicholson] wrote:

      The Carl Hurth HBW 15 2.8 DV Gearbox has a Prop Shaft Coupling installed, on the front of the Gearbox as to the Stern Gland / Shaft End end.

      ZF Germany bought Carl Hurth and market today a similar gearbox (ZF15HBW). No mention of a Prop Shaft Coupling in the original CH 1971 Manual nor the current ZF Manual.

      The Prop Shaft Coupling has started to leak oil which in turn is being located "around" the gearbox area.

      Prior to repair:

      The Engineer asked if the location (Front) rather than on the actual shaft is a standard procedure on NIC 35/Carl Hurth Gearboxes. In their current installations the Coupling is located between the Gearbox, Stern Gland and Shaft.

      The Engineer asked if any other NIC35 owners have removed the Coupling from the Front of the Gearbox?

      Any suggestion, observation and comments appreciated.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic