6726Re: [campernicholson] Andromeda Of Arisag / Hull 167 / Carl Hurth HBW Gearbox Prop Shaft Coupling [1 Attachment]

    Jun 8, 2014
      My Nic35 had a HBW150 v-drive which had a Vetus flexible coupling on the fwd side of the transmission.  It was an unusual arrangement that I've not seen again in 10+yrs of working in a boatyard.  I suspect other Nic35's may have been configured the same way.

      If the "coupling" is leaking oil, it's probably the output shaft seal on the gearbox.

      Graham

      On 6/8/2014 3:04 PM, jveslov@... [campernicholson] wrote:

      The Carl Hurth HBW 15 2.8 DV Gearbox has a Prop Shaft Coupling installed, on the front of the Gearbox as to the Stern Gland / Shaft End end.

      ZF Germany bought Carl Hurth and market today a similar gearbox (ZF15HBW). No mention of a Prop Shaft Coupling in the original CH 1971 Manual nor the current ZF Manual.

      The Prop Shaft Coupling has started to leak oil which in turn is being located "around" the gearbox area.

      Prior to repair:

      The Engineer asked if the location (Front) rather than on the actual shaft is a standard procedure on NIC 35/Carl Hurth Gearboxes. In their current installations the Coupling is located between the Gearbox, Stern Gland and Shaft.

      The Engineer asked if any other NIC35 owners have removed the Coupling from the Front of the Gearbox?

      Any suggestion, observation and comments appreciated.

      Jorgen

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic