6695Re: [campernicholson] Re: Wind Charger Mount

  • Brian Hess
    May 21, 2014
      I would LOVE to see pics of your Nic 33, especially any interior mods you may have done. i have to rebuild a navigation center and the galley needs new cabinetry.

      Thanks!

      Brian
      SV Triton
      Nic33

      On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:58 AM, nimbusmail@... [campernicholson] <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Brian, Folks,

      Sorry I do not have a photograph handy, but I can try to explain my own windvane mount on Scenario (Nic 33). The vane post is on the port quarter and has *three* SS wire stays, which is I think the key to stability. One runs forward approx 30° from vertical forward to the port toe rail, another laterally to the rail on the stern, and the third stay is lashed back to the transom mount of the hydrovane self steering gear, maybe 30 - 40cms aft of the transom. I guess this is a lucky circumstance with an opportunity for a third stay positioned aft. This set-up, crafted by previous owner, is really robust. The installation forms a 'safe' area in the cockpit, though I am nervous about that meat grinder within fairly easy reach of any careless crew - you'd have to reach high while standing on the lazarette. I have some reflective tape and placards on the post as a reminder. There is also a deck light up there in convenient location.

      Glenn Rainey

      Scenario

      Nic 33

      Largs