      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      From: yahoo@...
      Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 09:59:57 +0000
      Subject: [campernicholson] Mystery water trap

      Our Nic 35, SIRENA IV (#155) collects water in her bilge, and there appear to be a number of reasons for this: I've seen the pressure relief valve from the hot water tank dribbling, and worked out the bar setting is too low compared to the water pump; we developed a leak in the toilet pump which I fixed; the previous owner blamed rainwater coming down the mast (I'm not convinced); and what appears to be an elderly watertrap is rusty and beginning to weep.

      It's the watertrap I want to ask advice on - I have posted 2 photos in the new SIRENA IV album. It's a Vetus, but has no other markings on it - a simple metal cylinder approx 9" long and 5" diameter, and it's the only thing between the exhaust elbow and the transom. It sits under the galley floor, and the pipe then goes back under the quaterberth to the stern. The previous owner replaced the original engine in 2005 with a Beta 35, yet Vetus tell me they haven't made metal traps for 15 years or more - he was thorough and I'm surprised if he didn't replace it then.

      I'm thinking of replacing it with a Vetus NLPH model, a tube shape that should fit under the floor, though I have not measured exactly yet.

      First question is whether anyone has seen the same and what did you replace it with?

      Second question is what capacity of trap do people have, and what other advice/experience is on offer?

      Thanks! Nic & Lesley

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic