      From: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com [mailto:campernicholson@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don
      Sent: 14 April 2013 14:15
      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [campernicholson] HURTH GEARBOX

      Saunterer has a Hurth Gear Box and I have a
      continual minor oil leak which may or not be from the seals or it may just be caused by overfilling with oil.

      In an attempt to ensure that I do not overfill I have removed the sump overflow plug and screwed in a nipple with a clear plastic hose and valve with the open end of the tube into a container to catch the overfill. I fill to the level where oil is seen in the clear plastic tube and open the valve to drain the excess into the container. There is a time lag issue because after I drain the excess and wait 10 minutes l again have overflow oil in the plastic tube.

      After running the engine for a few hours I see a small amount of oil in the sump. I am not sure if this self overflowing (as per Hurth's manual in the case of overfilling) or if the oil seals are weeping. I have no oil leaks after a 6 month lay up. Also, as the gearbox is run the oil heats up and will expand so maybe that is a contributing factor to the oil weep.

      I would like to hear back from other owners with a Hurth gearbox on their experience regarding leaks, filling and the self leveling overflow.

      If all the other Hurth's are leak free then I guess I have to remove the gearbox and redo the oil seals but I would rather avoid that if other owners experience this same problem.

      Thanks also for the response on the B & G instrument issue I posted a few weeks ago - it was very helpful and I am researching the various responses.

      Don Cleland
      Nic 35 Saunterer

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic