5942Re: Emergency tiller problem

  • tom1us2001a
    Apr 5 5:33 AM
      Colin,

      I put a photo under Dream that shows the access hole with the e-tiller
      installed. Excuse the mess, I was replacing the non-skid at the time. I
      can't remember but I think the front of the ring is trimmed off so to
      sit flush against the base of the pedestal.

      Tom
      CN35-199 Dream

      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Campbell-Dunlop"
      <colin@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > We now have Trutz back in the water after a long winter ahore.
      >
      > We completely de-stocked the boat intending to conduct a cull of our
      cruising gear. This has gone well and she now sits a lot higher in the
      water!

      > As part of the process i cleaned up and painted the emergency tiller.
      Before stowing it in its usual place in the depths of the port cockpit
      locker i thought i would try it out.

      > The upshot is that it doesnt fit and probably never has done. It
      might be a good idea for other owners to check their emergency tiller to
      see if they have the same problem.

      > Trutz is a later version of the 35 with the Edson steering pedestal.
      the issue is that the access hole to the quadrant is set too far aft.
      There isnt enough room to get the box section of the tiller on to the
      top of the rudder stock rendering the tiller useless.

      > Of course, in a real emergency and pumped up on adrenalin it might be
      possible to remove the deck fitting to create more space but i am yet to
      see if it is easily removed.

      > I suspect that the hole in the deck was further forward on boats with
      the earlier "A-frame" pedestal and it worked fine. The introduction of
      the Edson hardware meant that the hole had to be shifted aft. In our
      case, too far.

      > Trutz was built after the production run of the 35 had ceased so it
      may simply be a problem affecting the handful of special order boats
      built in the late 80's and early 90's.

      > Interested to hear if any other boats have the same issue or have
      found a solution.

      > All the best
      >
      > Colin & Jo
      >
      > "Trutz"