      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      From: wisp03@...
      Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 21:33:01 +0000
      Subject: [campernicholson] Re: Rudder removal and Pintal rebuild

      Hello,
      I have a 1977 Nic35, 'Wisp'. If I'm understanding the problem correctly, there's water leaking around the rudder post (flange?). Wisp has a packing gland where the rudder post passes through the hull, just like the prop shaft. During a normal haul out it was easy enough (cramped, to be sure) to replace the old packing, certainly without removing the entire rudder. That was about 10 years ago and all is well.

      Rick

      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "nic35assoc" <colin@...> wrote:

      > This is interesting. I have suspected that our rudder has needed re-packing for the last year as we have been shipping water when under way.
      >
      > I had a good look this weekend and found that the rudder flange is the problem with water visibly seeping in when the rudder is taken from lock to lock. I have tightened this all down as it seemed quite loose. However, water still coming in but much less.
      >
      > I am not overly concerned and plan to lift out in the winter for rudder off, re-seat flange on new sikaflex and re pack the gland etc. However, has anyone done this job just by lifting the boat out but leaving the rudder on?
      >
      > My suspicion is that the grey coloured sealing compound used at the build stage has now shrunk/been washed out by seawater.
      >
      > New sika should be much more durable i think.
      >
      > I have also been recommended a new type of gland packing, Duramax-X. Anyone heard of it?
      >
      > Does anyone have any experiences to share on this topic?
      >
      > Colin
      >
      > 35/225
      > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN LARSON" <jsl-sll@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Nice job Simon. The photos are very helpful for anyone wanting to do work on that part of the boat. On our Nic 35, Passport, the bronze piece that forms the bottom of the packing gland near the top of the rudder shaft is loose and leaking when it's wavy out there. The bolts won't tighten any more, so I assume something is wrong with the way the bolts are fastened into the fiberglass. It's next spring's project I'm afraid.
      > >
      > > Why did you use a gasket instead of calk between the fiberglass and the bronze piece?
      > >
      > > John Larson
      > > Nic 35 #85
      > > MARKETPLACE
      > > Going Green: Your Yahoo! Groups resource for green living<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14ktlhvgg/M=493064.13814333.13821539.13298430/D=groups/S=1705065791:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1260553634/L=/B=Wo5HN0SO5.A-/J=1260546434343161/K=wvA9CUiD9iNWoowewKaQUw/A=5922843/R=0/SIG=11ckn2mo6/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/green/>

      > > Parenting Zone: Find useful resources for a happy, healthy family and home<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14kbd9ili/M=493064.13814537.13821737.10835568/D=groups/S=1705065791:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1260553634/L=/B=W45HN0SO5.A-/J=1260546434343161/K=wvA9CUiD9iNWoowewKaQUw/A=5898843/R=0/SIG=11kkq36go/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/parentingzone/>
      > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJidTZjOWY5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0MTU2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NTc5MQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTI2MDU0NjQzMw--> Switch to: Text-Only<mailto:campernicholson-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional>, Daily Digest<mailto:campernicholson-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest> . Unsubscribe<mailto:campernicholson-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe> . Terms of Use<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic