5668Re: [campernicholson] Inner Forestay

  • Brian Stannard
    Jun 28, 2011
      A babystay is usually fitted in lieu of forward lowers. It is not a stay a sail is set on.

      On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Gary Noble <noble.gary@...> wrote:

      Hi Mark
      The inner forestay conversation is very interesting. On the CN 30 due to its racing genesis is just a stay positioned to allow the the mast to be bent by adjusting the back stay and the shape the somewhat tiny main.On the CN35s with the taller rigs one can see the stay would have other uses but not sure as I have only sailed on a 35 with the regular mast height.
      Gary S?V Whakarra.

      --- On Fri, 6/24/11, MARK HOENKE <tornado186@...> wrote:

      From: MARK HOENKE <tornado186@...>
      Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Inner Forestay
      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

      Our Camper 58 is cutter rigged ketch.  The inner stay is from the upper spreader parallel to the forestay so it lands about 8 feet aft of the stem fitting.  There are running backs to port and starboard winches at the cockpit.  The inner stay is a roller furling ProFurl Clasic 42.  The inner jib is then a 2/3 hoist that fills the space to the mast. Below deck is a SS rod & turnbuckle to the keel to buck up the deck fitting.  The Genoa is unmanageable except to furl.  I am considering adding a solent rig or code zero or both to the aft end of the stem fitting to be operated with a spare jib halyard.  This will let us run a large drifter/reacher or a storm jib.

      --
      Brian
      Living aboard in Victoria