4965Re: Rudder removal and Pintal rebuild

  • b_a_t_e_a_u
    Jan 6, 2010
      John thank you so much for sharing the photographs detailing your rudder rebuild. I wasn't as clever and did not take off the bottom plate so could not get the rudder to angle forwards enough to completly drop which is what I wanted to do. What a shame I left for Turkey on the 11th December, just before your post, to do the work on my rudder in warmer clims. If only this information was available before I departed it would have saved me a lot of frustration, skined elbows and knuckles. You have done a first class job of your rudder and I now know I will have to take it apart again (only partially reassembled) as the rudder on Charlotte is cracked, had taken in much water and is just in place drying for a couple of months. I cant thank you enough for your efforts to post this wonderful set of photos and explanation.

      Best Regards
      Graham
      Charlotte Nic35 #138

      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "blue.nava" <blue.nava@...> wrote:

      > Last winter I removed my rudder and rebuilt the Pintal as there was unreasonable movement at this point making the steering stiff.
      > Thanks must go to Geoff, the owner of Nic 35 'Fly' who without his brains, assistance and experience this would not have been possible.He had done the same excercise the previous winter.
      >
      > For the good of the group I have finally uploaded a photograph file to our site under the name 35/177 Blue Nava.
      >
      > For anyone looking to remove their rudder it is infact quite simple, the key being that the rudder stock gland which is fixed to the floor with three nuts must come up sufficient to clear it's studs. This will then allow the blade to move backwards sufficient to clear the skeg in the drop.
      > You will find that this bronze casting is fixed to the floor with a product called Farocaulk (an older type Sixaflex). My advise would be to rig a simple pulley from above, entering through the emergency tiller hole.
      > The lower bronze shoe is simply held in place by 8 self tapping stainless screws.
      >
      > Simon
      > Blue Nava 35/177

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic