4745Re: [campernicholson] Re: Question re: fitting

    May 1, 2009
      Jeremy Lines once told me that the Solent stay concept was how the Nic35
      was originally rigged. Basically you attach the "spare" wire-rope genoa
      halyard to the rear of the stemhead fitting, hank the storm jib on this
      & raise it using the halyard that exits just below the masthead.

      On Luna Azul we eliminated the heavy wire-rope halyards and replaced
      them with Technora cordage. On the few occasions we needed a storm jib,
      the hi tech Solent stay worked fine, and somewhat surprisingly with bo
      sign of chafe from the bronze sail hanks. I'd say it was a whole lot
      more convenient than installing a true inner forestay, even at the
      expense of having the foot of the sail nearer the bow.

      Graham

      minnehaha64 wrote:

      > Colin,
      >
      > My boat seems to have an inner forestay attachment point in the
      > stemhead fitting, and there is a flange on the forward face of the
      > mast a few inches below the top of the mast. I think these fittings
      > are there for the installation of a "Solent" stay. The advice I've
      > found for the storm jib and storm trysail is they be close to the mast
      > to concentrate the center of effort. Mounting the stay a bit further
      > aft and a bit lower down the mast accomplishes that, but it puts the
      > lower mounting point at a less-massive section of the deck and will
      > require running backs. Everything's a compromise.
      >
      > I've toyed with the idea of moving the forestay, along with furler and
      > headsail back to the Solent mounting points, and installing a Code
      > Zero ahead. Haven't run that by my rigging advisor. Will he laugh at me?
      >
      > Russ
      >
      > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:campernicholson%40yahoogroups.com>, "Colin Campbell-Dunlop"
      > <colinj@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Russ,
      > >

      > > We have just put an inner forestay fitting on our boat. It is well
      > forward,
      > > between the windlass and about 8 inches back from the existing stay. I
      > > don't know what your plans are but we found that mounting it that far
      > > forward killed two birds with one stone. It is attached high enough
      > on the
      > > mast to avoid the need for running backstays and also is in a very
      > heavily
      > > constructed part of the deck. In the opinion of the yard we used and
      > of the
      > > surveyor who looked at it there is no need to tie in to a point in
      > the hull.
      > >

      > > This said, the fitting is very heavy duty and has a s/s backing plate
      > > underneath which is definitely of the 'no nonsense/bomb proof'
      > variety. We
      > > are yet to try it in anger but I am pretty confident.
      > >

      > > Do you think you might have any problems with anchor chain fouling your
      > > under-deck rigging?
      > >

      > > Rgds
      > >

      > > Colin
      > >

      > > _____