4614Re: [campernicholson] Re: Deep Sea Seal

  • O. R. Armstrong
    Feb 5, 2009

        I stand corrected. Nevertheless, that bellows is made out of lighter, more flexible stuff than the heavy, below-the-waterline rated stuff used with a conventional stuffing box. True?

      On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Graham Norbury <gnorbury@...> wrote:

      Its not the water pressure on the bellows that keeps the pressure, but
      the springiness of the bellows themselves. They typically have to be
      replaced every 3-4 years.

      O. R. Armstrong wrote:
      > FWIW: Dripless is certainly attractive, but it is accomplished by
      > water pressure *inside* the hull expanding a flexible bellows. Since
      > the bellows must be very flexible for the system to work, it cannot be
      > made out of a thick, reinforced hose. So a little springy piece of
      > hose is all there is between my boat and Mr. Jones' Locker? I opted
      > for the Buck Algonquin stuffing box (a beautiful piece of equipment,
      > if you're into plumbing) and a substantial piece of black hose,
      > knowing that if I spring a leak out there, somewhere far from help, I
      > can probably fix it.
      > Russ
      > p.s. On the recommendation of my yard, I used conventional flax
      > packing coated with Tef-Gel.

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic