4610Re: [campernicholson] Re: Deep Sea Seal

  • O. R. Armstrong
    Feb 5, 2009
      FWIW: Dripless is certainly attractive, but it is accomplished by water pressure inside the hull expanding a flexible bellows. Since the bellows must be very flexible for the system to work, it cannot be made out of a thick, reinforced hose. So a little springy piece of hose is all there is between my boat and Mr. Jones' Locker? I opted for the Buck Algonquin stuffing box (a beautiful piece of equipment, if you're into plumbing) and a substantial piece of black hose, knowing that if I spring a leak out there, somewhere far from help, I can probably fix it.

      Russ

      p.s. On the recommendation of my yard, I used conventional flax packing coated with Tef-Gel.

      On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:13 AM, Graham Norbury <gnorbury@...> wrote:

      PSS seals are a pain in the posterior - it really doesn't take much to
      contaminate the sealing surfaces, usually leading to pitting of the
      stainless rotor, wear in the graphite ring and eventually slow leaks.
      It is however quite unusual to completely rip one apart underway.

      The Strong Shaft Seal (Tides Marine) is far less prone to leaking, but
      I've seen them melt and destroy themselves underway due to clogged water
      injection lines. Usually this malady only affects larger motor vessels
      with high speed shafts; I've yet to see one do it on a sail boat, and
      personally have one on my Stevens 47.

      Bronze stuffing boxes are actually making a comeback, mainly due to the
      higher-tech packing materials now available. Last year my yard ripped
      out the dripless units from a 55' Flemming trawler and replaced them
      with Buck Algonquin bronze stuffing boxes packed with the green goo from
      Western Pacific Trading. (West Marine# 362931). After some adjustment
      and wearing in, we found the stuff works pretty well. More importantly
      the yard owner was far more comfortable that his shaft seals weren't
      going to rip themselves apart and flood the engine room again!

      Graham