4596Re: [campernicholson] Deep Sea Seal

  • E. Morcillo
    Feb 3, 2009
      Hi all, and Graham:

      Here is the Tides Marine web page: http://www.tidesmarine.com/shaft-seals.html

      We can read here about the system, and this would work fine on ss but I think not suitable for a bronze shaft, neither the Volvo.

      About the PSS, I am not sure about it, since the bronze shaft surface is not absolutely plain -a bit porous-.

      Deep Sea Seals: Seem better for our shaft, since the seal is side by side, with a jubillee clamps fro both ends.

      Link to Deep Sea Seal info  here and booklet here

      Another solution seem the new era new material for a drip-less classic packing. A vendor link is here . This solution seem good, since we are concerning about the failure of a new systen, and if the packing fail, you can change it with the boat in the water ( I am not sure abou it with me...). Too, the price is very high, and adding cost for shipping to Europe give a similar cost to the other systems.,,

      Another link with some interesting info here from the Catalina 34 International Organization.

      And more info here

      What to do? What maker for a bronze shaft? Are all enough safe?...difficult decision.

      Regards,

      Enrique Morcillo
      CN35 #194 Defiance