4595RE: [campernicholson] Re: Deep Sea Seal

  • David Love
    Feb 3, 2009

      Hi Graham,

      I have a Nic 345, made here in Brazil. It has a 2” flange – I guess you are referring to the OD of the tube where the shaft passes out through the hull?  Obviously best to check with a NIC 35 in the UK.

      Here is a good link with photos and procedures for installation: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/pss_shaft_seal

      When I installed mine the o-rings were very tight around the shaft when slipping the ring down. I had to wet-and-dry with fine emery cloth to get it on. And used lots of detergent as lubricant.

      The other thing was to get the right amount of pressure between the two sealing surfaces. The bellow should be reasonably collapsed. The instructions refer to about  1” down past the initial set-up to get the correct bellows pressure. I increased this a bit.

      Cheers, David