      From: naumangl <naumangl@...>
      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 8:50:17 PM
      Subject: [campernicholson] Re: Replacing teak deck

      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Linda Lane Thornton
      <lindalanethornton@...> wrote:

      > Hi Folks
      > Andy is thinking about taking off the teak deck on our Nic 35,
      Coromandel Quest, which has seen better days.  We can´t afford to have
      it replaced.  Has anyone done this, and what are the issues involved?
      We probably won´t tackle it until we reach New Zealand (we´re in Peru
      at the moment) but want to get as much information as possible before
      we start pulling things apart.
      > Cheers
      > Linda Lane Thornton
      > Coromandel Quest No 66

      Linda,
      In Late October we started pulling the Teak off our CN 38 ketch built
      in 1973. It was in real bad shape. Our Cabin top had teak screwed down
      into the balsa core. We found the frame for the teak attached with
      something like 5200. This adhesive also held down the king planks on
      the cabin. The decks, bow and aft sections of the deck had simular
      adhesive along their edges. The adhesive was extremely difficult to
      remove. We drilled out and counter sunk each screw hole before filling
      them with West system epoxy with filler. We found the jell coat
      cracked along the decks close to the jib track. We covered the entire
      deck with a thin layer of glass and plenty of epoxy. We have been
      working nearly 2 months. I will respond to direct questions if our
      experiences seem of value. It has turned cold in North Carolina so the
      painting may take place in the spring. Can't say it was done correctly
      write back in 5 years. Good luck! willing to help.
      George Nauman

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: