4418Re: [campernicholson] Suggestion when removing Teak from deck

    Oct 12, 2008
      As I understand it, the complaint is that water runs down the inside of
      the mast, and collects around the mast step.
      I've never found it to be a serious problem, but it does cause the mast
      step to remain wet and thus promote corrosion.

      Graham

      dan hamilton wrote:

      > I have a canvas mast boot around the base of my mast on deck and have
      > never had water leak below. Maybe I don't understand the problem.
      >
      > Dam
      >
      > --- On Sat, 10/11/08, David Burnham <burnhad@...
      > <mailto:burnhad%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
      >
      > > From: David Burnham <burnhad@... <mailto:burnhad%40yahoo.com>>
      > > Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Suggestion when removing Teak from deck
      > > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:campernicholson%40yahoogroups.com>
      > > Date: Saturday, October 11, 2008, 8:56 PM
      > > Hugh,
      > > Sorry, but there is no way that you can prevent rainwater
      > > coming down the keel-stepped mast.
      > > The alternative is to seal the bottom of the mast and let
      > > it collect inside the bottom of the mast.
      > > Then pump the water overboard and out of the mast as
      > > needed.
      > > My Nic 33 has the same problem with sponging the shallow
      > > bilge but I use the excuse to get out
      > > onto the boat after every heavy rainshower.
      > > David Burnham
      > > Time... hull #19

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic