4409Re: [campernicholson] Suggestion when removing Teak from deck

    Oct 6, 2008
      George,

      The general principle is that movement is the enemy of a good seal. You
      want the deck hardware fastened tight enough that it isn't going to move
      around when subjected to load, and also it mustn't be able to work loose
      over time. Additionally, no fasteners should directly penetrate a balsa
      cored deck without the core material having been reefed out and
      back-filled with epoxy. Under those circumstances, you wouldn't expect
      the deck to be able to compress, so adequate torque shouldn't be an issue.

      Conventional wisdom suggests a two step tightening process when bedding
      hardware; first apply the sealant and loosely fastened the hardware,
      then next day when the sealant has partially cured, tighten it down
      fully without permitting the through-bolts to turn (else you destroy the
      seal). That said, I've never had anything leak if its been adequately
      gooped up and fully tightened in the same session.

      regards
      Graham

      naumangl wrote:

      > We have owned our 38 foot 1973 Ketch for over 20 years. We keep Raga
      > in New Bern NC. When rebedding the deck hardware how much torque
      > should be used on the nuts on the cleats, jib track and safety line
      > bases? Has anyone used substitute teak materials?
      > thanks
      > George Nauman

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic