4319RE: [campernicholson] Lightning Protection

  • Denece Vincent
    Jul 2, 2008
      About eight years ago we put  about a 12 X 18 inch 1/2 inch thick copper plate on the hull as close to the mast as possible. It is thru-bolted and attached by a thick battery-type cable to the mast.  No strikes, yet. Thank God.

      Sent: 7/1/2008 10:06:25 PM
      Subject: [campernicholson] Lightning Protection

      I am wondering what other Nicholson 35 owners have done for lightning
      protection. I have developed a keen interest in lighting protection
      after getting caught out on the Chesapeake in a thunderstorm last week
      and getting a mild electric shock at the helm while steering the boat.
      Quite a wake up call. I have hull number 132 and there is a small
      sintered bronze plate on the outside of the hull that is connected by #8
      wire to the mast.

      None of the shrouds, stays, lifelines, stanchions, or any other metal
      objects are grounded or otherwise connected to this plate

      I look forward to hearing what lightnting protection arrangements others
      have in place on their boats.

      Al Boyce
      Discovery CN35 #132

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic