3275RE: [campernicholson] Re: Top handrails

    Apr 6, 2006
      Hi Tom

      Thanks for the response. I never did figure out how to access the handrail
      nuts over the head. I suspect that access might be possible by removing
      the headliner in the forepeak but I wasn't able to do that either. I
      finally used a reciprocating saw to cut the bolts between the fiberglass and
      the handrail. To replace it, I expoxied over the the flush ends of the cut
      off bolts, plugged the original hole in the handrail and drilled a second
      hole about 1/2 inch aft but still over the protrusion on the deck. I used a
      self tapping screw and teak plug to reattach the handrail. The protrusions
      are solid fiberglass so it seems pretty solid, however, your solution is

      CN 35 #68

      >From: "Tom Jaax" <jaaxcarr@...>
      >To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [campernicholson] Re: Top handrails
      >Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 16:46:29 -0000
      >--Jim, I rebolted our handrails on Lea-Rig. We had the same problem
      >in the head. The only choice was to drill out a bigger hole with a
      >hole saw. Then we could see the nuts and bolts. One of the two had the
      >core removed. But I always oversize the bolt holes anyway, fill with
      >epoxy and redrill to the actual bolt size. For the final finish in the
      >head, I covered the hole saw opening with a "polished" plate of
      >stainless, about 4" square using screws into the fiberglass liner.
      > Tom
      > Lea-Rig
      > CN 35, #189
      >- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "teipenj" <jteipen@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > We are in the middle of an extensive project to replace the vinyl
      > > headliner and to refinish the cabin side walls on Alegria.
      > >
      > > I was wondering if anyone has experience with removing the cabin top
      > > exterior handrails? Removal of the old headliner made access to most
      > > of the handrail though bolt nuts readily accessible. However, the most
      > > forward attachment is over the hard ceiling of the head. I would have
      > > thought that, since lower access is restricted, the yard would have
      > > used a wood screw there. I popped the teak plug out and was able to
      > > turn the fastener but couldn't get it to back out. I'm guessing it's
      > > through bolted as well. Has anyone figured out how to get access to
      > > the nut on the most forward part of the handrail?
      > >
      > > Jim
      > > Alegria
      > > C/N 35 #68
      > >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links