3274Re: [campernicholson] Re: Top handrails

  • William E. Roesner
    Apr 5, 2006
      Tom,
      Geeez, Polished square piece(s) of stainless on the head ceiling?
      Screwed? Why not a round, flat,(or shaped) blind mounted piece of teak
      to match the rest of the teak finishes on the boat.?
      Don't mean to sound like a critic, but...Sorry.
      Bill,
      SV Blueprint
      CN 31-113

      On Apr 5, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Tom Jaax wrote:

      > --Jim,   I rebolted our handrails on Lea-Rig. We had the same problem
      > in the head. The only choice was to drill out a bigger hole with a
      > hole saw. Then we could see the nuts and bolts. One of the two had the
      > core removed. But I always oversize the bolt holes anyway, fill with
      > epoxy and redrill to the actual bolt size. For the final finish in the
      > head, I covered the hole saw opening with a "polished" plate of
      > stainless, about 4" square using screws into the fiberglass liner.
      >    Tom
      >    Lea-Rig
      >    CN 35, #189
      >
      > - In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "teipenj" <jteipen@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > We are in the middle of an extensive project to replace the vinyl
      > > headliner and to refinish the cabin side walls on Alegria.
      > >
      > > I was wondering if anyone has experience with removing the cabin top
      > > exterior handrails? Removal of the old headliner made access to most
      > > of the handrail though bolt nuts readily accessible. However, the
      > most
      > > forward attachment is over the hard ceiling of the head. I would
      > have
      > > thought that, since lower access is restricted, the yard would have
      > > used a wood screw there.  I popped the teak plug out and was able to
      > > turn the fastener but couldn't get it to back out.  I'm guessing
      > it's
      > > through bolted as well. Has anyone figured out how to get access to
      > > the nut on the most forward part of the handrail?
      > >
      > > Jim
      > > Alegria
      > > C/N 35 #68
      > >

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > ▪  Visit your group "campernicholson" on the web.

      > Service.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic