3058RE: [campernicholson] Stern Tube Cooling

  • JIM TEIPEN
    Jul 5, 2005
      Yes, that may have been the original design intent. In practice though, at
      least on the hydraulic drive boats, the cutlass bearing is 2 to 3 feet
      farther down the shaft alley, well past the sea water fitting and is
      immersed in sea water. My present cutlass bearing was replaced over 7 years
      and many miles ago but I don't see significant wear so far.

      Jim

      >From: "Graham Norbury" <gnorbury@...>
      >To: <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [campernicholson] Stern Tube Cooling
      >Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 16:46:32 -0400
      >
      >The cooling water helps the cutlass bearing, not the packing gland.
      >
      >Graham

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic