3054Re: [campernicholson] Stern Tube Cooling

  • Simon Rayfield
    Jul 5, 2005
      Al

      This fitting is part of the original installation, I quote from the Nich 35
      Owners Handbook "The shaft itself is water lubricated by water coming from
      the cooling system, so if the salt water system is dismantled for any
      reason, do not forget to turn off the the small stopcock just above the
      propellor shaft."

      I agree with you that it doesn't seem necessary. However, Nicholson are (or
      were) a class builder so it probably represents the best of yacht design at
      the time. There is always a risk of under lubrication on the inboard
      bearing so this was probably added as a precaution, also there is a small
      split pin facility to 'lock' the shaft when sailing, yet this is small
      enough to shear if one forgets to remove it. These (I think) are all signs
      of a superior and thoughtful yacht designer - but we Nich owners are biased!

      Simon
      Dediou #42