      From: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:campernicholson@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Albert G. Boyce
      Sent: Monday, July 04, 2005 1:03 PM
      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [campernicholson] Stern Tube Cooling

      I have a 1976 model with a Perkins 4-108 and the hydraulic drive. There is
      a small tube and hose that runs from the heat exchanger output to the stern
      tube collar. The fitting on the collar was corroded when I purchased the
      boat 6 years. A bronze hose barb was installed and that has now since
      corroded.

      The yard that did the original replacement thought the line was intended to
      aid in cooling the shaft. It seems to me that as long as the shaft drips as
      it is rotating, this additional raw water would not be providing any cooling
      that is not already being achieved be the seawater entering the stern tube
      and dripping into the bilge.

      I am wondering if this was a standard installation or something that one of
      the previous owners has jury rigged. I am considering removing this entire
      assembly and plugging the holes in the collar.

      Al Boyce

      Discovery CN35 #132.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic