2632RE: [campernicholson] Genoa Track Blister repair

  • Stephen Perry
    Apr 17, 2004
      The aluminum plates below the stanchion bases are actually below the level
      of the deck layup, the raised sections, or "pads" are primarily resin. The
      deck upper skin itself is quite thick and the alum. plates are integrated
      right into the layers of glass with perhaps a few layers of material omitted
      to maintain a uniform deck thickness. Perhaps in later years the alum.
      plates were omitted in the glass under the genoa tracks, but don't be
      surprised if you do find plates there. In my boat there were also backing
      plates below deck, also of aluminum. I have not yet rebuilt the raised genoa
      track bases but will construct something similar, probably leaving out the
      wood and using solid glass. This business of encasing wood in glass is not
      easy to do well-it's not quite the same as doing cored structures like
      decks. Yes, all the genoa track material is straight and I made a bending
      jig of construction lumber and 3/8 inch bolds to put a little pre-bend in. I
      have seen many people bend and bolt-as-you-go but I do not like that method.
      I did most of the fiberglass cutting with a skillsaw and cheap throw away
      blades, sometimes I use steel blades and sharpen them with a file as they
      wear down if I can't get cheap carbibe blades. Fibreglass is hard on cutting
      tools. I nip away and fine tune areas with a high speed grinder.rigged with
      production type abrasive discs. Soon I will be trying a roto-zip tool with
      various cutters-I'm always searching for better ways. I do not find drills
      and cutters or rotary rasps good enough for larger jobs although I do use
      them for some things. BTW Jim, have a good time in Hawii!!!