2629RE: [campernicholson] Genoa Track Blister repair

  • Stephen Perry
    Apr 15, 2004
      I missed a lot of emails over the last few weeks so I am just now getting
      around to putting in my two cents on the genoa track blister issue.
      Depending on the year of the boat the tracks may or may not be raised on
      either fiberglass, wood- or a combination of both, pads about an inch and a
      half tall. That doesn't change very much the issue of the balsa core in the
      deck and the repair procedure. My tracks were raised and I started by
      cutting the pad off which was glass over mahogany. Under the top layer of
      deck glass was an aluminum plate embedded completely in the glass. The same
      type of construction was used under the stanchions. I assume these plates
      were used to distribute the loads of all the fasteners to keep the balsa
      core from crushing. I personally feel that a better method is to romove all
      the core and make those areas of solid glass. It's strong and if fasteners
      leak there's nothing to get ruined-just a minor leak below. One real mistake
      is to cut a little core away while opening the affected area and stopping
      when you see clean balsa:make sure the core is dry by testing by using a
      meter, sometimes damp core can be detected by squeezing some core material
      between your fingers. I'm sure some of you doing this repair have discovered
      the above stuff, but I hope I have helped someone!