2567RE: [campernicholson] Genoa Track Blister repair

  • JIM TEIPEN
    Mar 1, 2004

      The genoa fasteners tracks on my boat pass all the way through the deck, narrow aluminum backing plates and are bolted.  The fasteners look relatively clean underneath so I don't anticipate any problem loosening the nuts.  Experience with other deck hardware however indicates that the hard part is likely to be freeing up the bolt after removing the nut.   Generally, a well placed blow with a hammer has worked for me,  but usually means damaging the fastener in the process.  In cases such as the chainplates where I definitely did not want any damage to occur, I've found loosening the nut most of the way, placing a socket over it and using a hammer on the socket works well.

      Jim

      S/V Alegria

      CN 35 - 68

      >From: "John's ntl account"
      >Subject: RE: [campernicholson] Genoa Track Blister repair
      >Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:18:14 -0000
      >
      >It's not a simple project, presuming the 35 is anything like my 26. The
      >cabinet work under the deck isn't half of the problem. The set-screws
      >through the genoa track freeze and are very difficult of access. I had it
      >done by a shipwright to a fixed price he'd set and he told me afterwards he
      >wished he hadn't quoted the fixed price! He ended up drilling out each and
      >every set screw in the track. Good luck!
      >
      >John Milne C&N26 Ulana

      Get fast, reliable access with MSN 9 Dial-up. Click here for Special Offer!
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic