2566Re: [campernicholson] Genoa Track Blister repair

  • JIM TEIPEN
    Mar 1, 2004

      Simon,

      Interesting your discussion on the raised deck section for the track. I was nearly positive that the deck area where the tracks are attached on my boat is flush with the rest of the deck.  Based on your comments, I will need to look at this more closely next time I'm on the boat.

      The attachment points for the stanchions however are definitely raised  by 1/4 inch or so.  I have about 3 areas of blistering around the stanchions, one of them happens to be at aft end of the starboard genoa track which will need to be removed in order to do the deck repair.  I will remove both tracks anyway for the purpose of resealing them.  The corroded aluminum plates embedded within the blistered areas obviously need to be removed but I'm not planning to embed new ones.  Instead, I want to use 1/4 inch 304 stainless steel backing plates underneath the deck.   Over the years, we've rebedded about 90% of the deck hardware and have been replacing the original aluminum backing plates with this same stainless material as we go.

      As for the deck repair work itself, I am planning to cut the damaged areas out and do the gross filling work myself and then have lined up a fiberglass expert to do the finish work, deck matching etc.  I'm not sure exactly how to retain the raised area under the stanchion bases but it seems like either a wooden or plastic insert placed under the final gel coat layer could be made to approximate the original.

      Jim

      S/V Alegria

      CN 35 - 68

      >From: "Simon Rayfield"
      >Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Genoa Track Blister repair
      >Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:58:39 -0000
      >
      >Jim, Dale & Paula
      >
      >I have this job to do as well and have been putting it off!  A 'liveaboard gypsy' I know (who was good with GRP repairs and colour matching), but have now lost contact with, did this job on a Nic 40.  I remember he told me that the primary problem was the encapsulated aluminium (which we all know about), more important was the fact that he replaced this with a substantial wooden strip.  I think he used teak as this is unlikely to expand or contract and also will not cause a chemical reaction in the GRP.
      >
      >Now, just throwing ideas into the pot - Has anyone considered removing the existing track and raised support section, grind the deck flush, make good the cut-out section with GRP.  Then get a shipwright to make a shaped, new raised deck section for the track to screw onto out of teak and bolt the whole assembly through the deck with a stainless steel underdeck backing plate.
      >
      >My concern with repairs of this type is getting an acceptable deck finish with the GRP after the repair.
      >
      >Simon
      >#42 Dediou

      Say �good-bye� to spam, viruses and pop-ups with MSN Premium -- free trial offer!
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic