Re: Japanese MARPAT -- Correction

  • dytter01
    Message 1 of 281 , Feb 28, 2002
      Francis, try this email address: od-@... or call them 047-470-8016 or try this website: www.phantom-web.com for the MARPAT camo - Philip
    • rambozo79
      Message 281 of 281 , Oct 11, 2003
        This is something that I am quite interested in as well. But I
        haven't found any information in regard to how camouflage really
        works. and what would make it work well in varied environments. So I
        have to kinda figure it out for myself.

        As I said in a previous post, I think its contrast that really makes
        camouflage work. That and a wide/simplistic pattern. Tiger stripe is
        good because it has a lot of black and that is good for contrast. But
        its a pretty compressed pattern. And at distance it dithers to a
        solid. So I think a more spacious pattern would be better.

        Also, its harder to balance contrast with more varied color. This is
        why I believe in low color. I actually think a simple 2 color
        camouflage can work very well. a generic base color with a black
        overlying pattern. or you can use a multi color base but keep the
        base colors low in contrast. use the same shade of colors and maybe
        blur them into a gradient. Because all that needs to be done with the
        base is establish color. the overlaying black pattern I think is what
        should be used to establish contrast. And black is good because it
        simulates shadow. and shadow is common across environments.

        But a thing I'm still unsure about is what the best color to use for
        the base is. I have ideas in this regard, but I still question
        weather they work. What is needed is a very versatile color that
        blends equally well in varied environments. All colors can be broke
        down into 3 base colors, Yellow, Red, and Blue. Now we know how these
        different colors blend to create the colors found in different
        environments. of course Yellow and Blue can blend into green. And
        Yellow and Red blend into brown. So is it true to say that yellow
        blends equally well with green as it does brown? I guess the real
        question is: Can certain colors appear as different colors based on a
        surrounding color? And another question: is this better than a
        multicolor base?

        Also the shade of color I think is very important. Shade is probably
        more important than the actual color used. The shade has to match the
        environment. This is another thing that is hard to achieve when
        trying to create a versatile camouflage. This I think should be
        guaged based on an average shade among the different environments.

        The more I come to understand camouflage, the more I question how it
        works. Its all based on optical allusion. Its all about tricking the
        eyes. And certain patterns can have a certain effect on the eyes.
        This might help explain why certain patterns like cadpat and marpat
        work well. Or it might just be that these digitized patterns are low
        res. And its a lot easier to create a repeating pattern in low res
        than it is in high res. Regardless it still probably creates an
        effect on the eyes that the more conventional patterns do not. But
        the same I think can be true in regard to color, not just patterns.
        Since camouflage is based on optical allusion, you must realize that
        its not important how things are, but more important how things are
        perceived. This is a reason why camouflage is much more complicated
        than most people realize.

        Just some of my thoughts.

        --- In camouflageandcombatgear@yahoogroups.com, "schliemann001"