CADPAT & MARPAT Development (Part 1)

  • canuck_infantry
    Message 1 of 281 , Jan 20, 2002
      As promised, I have some definitive information
      for those who are interested in the development and
      comparative performance of the new Canadian Disruptive
      Pattern (CADPAT). I also have the �bottom line� regarding
      the �chicken & egg� issue of CADPAT versus MARPAT
      development. <br><br>I�ll begin by noting that the information
      provided below is derived from 2 primary sources. The
      first is an article written by the Canadian Army CADPAT
      project manager, Major D. Palmer. The second is a
      detailed discussion that I held 2 days ago with the
      Canadian Army�s �Clothe the Soldier� Program Manager from
      the Directorate of Land Requirements � Close Combat
      Soldier Systems. A team from the �CTS� Program visited my
      base in Edmonton to update soldiers on the status of
      the program and demonstrate the new equipment. Just
      about all of the new individual clothing and equipment
      coming on-line within the next 2 years will be produced
      in CADPAT � from the Load-Bearing Vest, to the
      Rucksack, to the Temperate Combat Boot (yes, CADPAT
      boots!). All of the kit demonstrated was first-class
      stuff, and will be a real quantum leap in terms of
      comfort, utility and effectiveness for our troops. But I
      digress � on to the subject of CADPAT (and later,
      MARPAT). <br><br> After 25 years of experimentation and
      trials using various existing and experimental
      �conventional� camouflage patterns, the Canadian Forces
      undertook development of its unique new �digital� pattern
      in 1995. A much more analytical approach was adopted
      for this project than had been the case prior. Past
      camouflage trials had been just that � very much a process
      of simple trial and error. Development and
      acceptance/rejection of trials patterns had been based on little more
      than determining which patterns �looked good� and were
      liked by the troops. This approach was clearly not
      conducive to developing the most effective pattern
      possible, and it was therefore decided to approach the
      problem from �first principals�, fully exploiting
      scientific analysis and the latest in leading-edge textile
      technologies. <br><br> The first step in developing the CADPAT
      was a spectral analysis of Temperate terrain
      throughout the Northern Hemisphere. Images were recorded of
      �typical� woodlands across the breadth of Canada and Europe
      during Spring, Summer and Fall, in both the visible and
      infra-red spectrums. The images were recorded at typical
      infantry target detection and engagement distances of
      between 50 and 300 metres. These images were then
      computer-analyzed to determine which colors would best blend into
      the �average� temperate surroundings, and in what
      ratio/proportion. This analysis determined that 4 colors with
      specific shades/tones were required to achieve the best
      possible �all around� concealment effect. These are the
      same Light (lime) Green, Dark Green, Light Brown, and
      Black which were incorporated into the Temperate
      CADPAT.<br><br> The initial work described above regarding coloration
      and Infra-Red issues was contracted to a Danish
      company called DADCON. It was at this point that the
      Canadian Defence Research Establishment (DRE) took over
      development of the CADPAT under the auspices of DLR Close
      Combat Soldier Systems at National Defence Headquarters.
    • rambozo79
      Message 281 of 281 , Oct 11, 2003
        This is something that I am quite interested in as well. But I
        haven't found any information in regard to how camouflage really
        works. and what would make it work well in varied environments. So I
        have to kinda figure it out for myself.

        As I said in a previous post, I think its contrast that really makes
        camouflage work. That and a wide/simplistic pattern. Tiger stripe is
        good because it has a lot of black and that is good for contrast. But
        its a pretty compressed pattern. And at distance it dithers to a
        solid. So I think a more spacious pattern would be better.

        Also, its harder to balance contrast with more varied color. This is
        why I believe in low color. I actually think a simple 2 color
        camouflage can work very well. a generic base color with a black
        overlying pattern. or you can use a multi color base but keep the
        base colors low in contrast. use the same shade of colors and maybe
        blur them into a gradient. Because all that needs to be done with the
        base is establish color. the overlaying black pattern I think is what
        should be used to establish contrast. And black is good because it
        simulates shadow. and shadow is common across environments.

        But a thing I'm still unsure about is what the best color to use for
        the base is. I have ideas in this regard, but I still question
        weather they work. What is needed is a very versatile color that
        blends equally well in varied environments. All colors can be broke
        down into 3 base colors, Yellow, Red, and Blue. Now we know how these
        different colors blend to create the colors found in different
        environments. of course Yellow and Blue can blend into green. And
        Yellow and Red blend into brown. So is it true to say that yellow
        blends equally well with green as it does brown? I guess the real
        question is: Can certain colors appear as different colors based on a
        surrounding color? And another question: is this better than a
        multicolor base?

        Also the shade of color I think is very important. Shade is probably
        more important than the actual color used. The shade has to match the
        environment. This is another thing that is hard to achieve when
        trying to create a versatile camouflage. This I think should be
        guaged based on an average shade among the different environments.

        The more I come to understand camouflage, the more I question how it
        works. Its all based on optical allusion. Its all about tricking the
        eyes. And certain patterns can have a certain effect on the eyes.
        This might help explain why certain patterns like cadpat and marpat
        work well. Or it might just be that these digitized patterns are low
        res. And its a lot easier to create a repeating pattern in low res
        than it is in high res. Regardless it still probably creates an
        effect on the eyes that the more conventional patterns do not. But
        the same I think can be true in regard to color, not just patterns.
        Since camouflage is based on optical allusion, you must realize that
        its not important how things are, but more important how things are
        perceived. This is a reason why camouflage is much more complicated
        than most people realize.

        Just some of my thoughts.

        --- In camouflageandcombatgear@yahoogroups.com, "schliemann001"