Cube Maintenance

  • b47lue
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2009
      I am new to the cube world and would like some advice on how best to maintain a cube.  I have seen differing opinions on You Tube about how to lube the inner parts of the cube.  I was attempting to clean up an older cube and used WD40.  After about 30 minutes of it not getting any better, I took it apart and used alcohol to clean all the parts.  I re-lubed everything with silicon but when I was putting it back together, the core just fell apart.  The plastic core just crumbled away.  So I have two questions: 1) what should be used to lube a cube and 2) where can I purchase a 3x3 Rubik's core?  I saw one core for sale on Cubes4You.com but I don't know if it is the correct type.  It doesn't look like the one that fell apart on me.  Thanks for your help/advice!

    • Tyson Mao
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2009
        I can't help you too much with your second question as I have never
        purchased only a core. (Though I could use one myself.)

        As for lubing a cube, there are differing schools of thought, but most
        people use a silicon based spray. Generally, the cube is not flawless
        at first while the silicone is still wet. Generally, you want to wait
        for it to dry before you put it back together.

        -Tyson

        On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 4:35 PM, b47lue <b47lue@...> wrote:

        > I am new to the cube world and would like some advice on how best to
        > maintain a cube.  I have seen differing opinions on You Tube about how to
        > lube the inner parts of the cube.  I was attempting to clean up an older
        > cube and used WD40.  After about 30 minutes of it not getting any better, I
        > took it apart and used alcohol to clean all the parts.  I re-lubed
        > everything with silicon but when I was putting it back together, the core
        > just fell apart.  The plastic core just crumbled away.  So I have two
        > questions: 1) what should be used to lube a cube and 2) where can I purchase
        > a 3x3 Rubik's core?  I saw one core for sale on Cubes4You.com but I don't
        > know if it is the correct type.  It doesn't look like the one that fell
        > apart on me.  Thanks for your help/advice!

      • zeronspyder
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2009
          Never, NEVER, use WD40. It disintegrates plastic obliteratingly fast. CR&R Silicon spray is my recommendation.