Cube Meeting

  • tmao@its.caltech.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hey, this is mostly for Techers (students at Caltech)... we need to hold some meetings
      in order to get recognized as a club. I think our main priority right now is to design a
      good webpage. The cubing community lives through the internet and if we can
      design a good page, then we have a better chance of being known and attracting
      other people. Lars Petrus gets around 400+ hits a day because of his beautiful
      solution and stuff. I'm thinking a solution page would be one of the pages... in
      addition to some other stuff.

      Of course, I can't do this alone... I've never really designed pages before. So if you're
      willing to help contribute a page, definitely let me know. Perhaps we can just spend
      and night and design the entire thing... must like you silly frosh do your chem sets on
      thursday night. But yeah, I'll try to get some work done on it. Any help would be so
      definitely appreciated.

      Is there a good time for all of us to meet? It doesn't have to be in person either... if
      we can decide who wants to design what in this groups, it would be just as good.

      On a side note, I've put in a reservation at noon on April 3 (the weekend after we get
      back from spring break) for the Spring Rubik's cube competition. I'll hopefully hear
      about the room soon. Even if we get funding, we still have to charge admission.
      Otherwise, some weird techers would come and do weird stuff.

      Anyway, please.. you guys... you frosh on pass/fail... let's get a good webpage up.
      Currently, my "friends" section just has a big picture of Mark and it says "Moldova."
      Not too great. Anyway, laters.

      P.S. Mike, you're a moron. USING ACETONE FROM CHEM 3! If any of you care to
      laugh at Mike, he put his cube pieces in acetone in an effort to make his cube go
      faster.
    • mcah5
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
        I guess I could write up the solution that I use for the 4x4x4 and
        5x5x5. Even though it's really slow, these solutions only require
        the memorization of 3 simple algorithms (in addition to the
        algorithms needed to solve a 3x3x3 cube). No memorization of parity
        problem algorithms needed, there's an easy (but long) way around
        that.

        And the acetone worked. My cube glides somewhat better than before,
        and if it's ever stolen I can match my fingerprints to the ones
        etched to the inside of each cubie =)

        Michael