  • Volleyball ORG
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2012

      COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Feb. 24, 2012) – USA Volleyball is pleased to
      announce that it will host the eight-team  Men’s Olympic Qualification
      Tournament on May 7-12 at the Walter Pyramid in Long Beach, Calif.

      The winner of this tournament will qualify for the 2012 Olympic Games
      in London. It is the first time that the Olympic Qualification
      Tournament is being held in the United States.

      “USA Volleyball is extremely proud and excited to be hosting the 2012
      Olympic Qualification Tournament and we intend to put on a first-rate
      event, both for the competing teams and the fans who attend the
      matches,” USA Volleyball CEO Doug Beal said. “We will be looking for
      support from the U.S. volleyball community not only for fan
      attendance, but also for volunteers and fund raising. This is one of
      the most significant events ever played in the United States, and it
      is a great opportunity to support our men’s team in its quest to
      qualify for London and defend its Olympic title from Beijing.”

      The U.S. Men’s National Volleyball Team, ranked sixth in the world by
      FIVB and second in NORCECA, is the defending Olympic champion and will
      be looking to qualify for its seventh straight Summer Games and the
      ninth overall since the sport's debut in 1964 at the Olympic Games in

      The other teams competing will be Cuba (ranked first in NORCECA; fifth
      in the world), Mexico (third in NORCECA; 23rd in the world), Canada
      (fourth in NORCECA; 18th in the world), Puerto Rico (fifth in NORCECA;
      17th in the world;), Trinidad & Tobago (sixth in NORCECA; 33rd in the
      world), Costa Rica (eighth in NORCECA; 43rd in the world) and
      Dominican Republic (10th in NORCECA; 46th in the world).

      “We are pleased to be hosting the NORCECA Men’s Continental Olympic
      Qualifier and look forward to competing against the other teams from
      our zone in front of our friends, family and fans,” U.S. Men’s Head
      Coach Alan Knipe said. “We are looking forward to a great

      The U.S. Men’s National Volleyball Team is based at the nearby
      American Sports Centers in Anaheim, Calif.

      “I know the Southern California community, our local region – the
      Southern California Volleyball Association – the many local clubs and
      our large fan base will all contribute to making this a special
      event,” Beal said. “We don’t get many opportunities to see our teams
      play in the United States. Not only are they here in front of our U.S.
      fans, but with an event that will give them a chance to earn a spot in
      the London Olympics. It just doesn’t get any better.”

      The U.S. Men’s National Volleyball Team received great fan support in
      2011 when it hosted two FIVB World League matches against Puerto Rico
      at the Pyramid.

      Details on ticket sales for the Men’s Olympic Qualification Tournament
      will be coming soon.

      About Qualifying for the 2012 Olympic Games

      Twelve teams will compete in men’s volleyball at the 2012 Olympic
      Games in London.

      Great Britain, as the host country, has already received one of those
      spots. Russia, Poland and Brazil have also qualified by virtue of
      their first, second and third-place finishes (respectively) at the
      2011 FIVB World Cup in Japan. Tunisia has also qualified as the winner
      of the African zone qualifying tournament.

      Of the remaining seven spots, the winners of the NORCECA, European,
      South American and Asian zone tournaments will each get one spot in
      the Olympics.

      The final three Olympic Games entrants will be the winners of three
      FIVB World Olympic Qualification Tournaments. These four-team
      tournaments will be held in Tokyo, Japan (June 1-10 in conjunction
      with the Asian zone qualifying tournament), Rome, Italy (June 8-10)
      and Berlin, Germany (June 8-10).

      Teams are invited to these FIVB tournaments based on their world
      ranking. The host countries, provided they have not yet qualified for
      the Olympic Games, are invited automatically.